Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
LaserJet M452dw

My M452dw LaserJet printer is printing horizontal magenta lines along the right hand border of the pages.  The lines are about an inch long and evenly spaced every 0.888 inches (22.55mm) down the side of the paper.  All the toner cartridges are recently installed.  It did not begin doing this immediately after I installed the cartridges – there were a few months where it printed fine.

Is this a problem with the printer itself or do I have a bad toner cartridge?

I visually inspected all four toner cartridges and did not see any obvious issues.  I ran the print head cleaning process multiple times.  It got somewhat better right after that, but the next day the problem reappeared.

If the problem is with a toner cartridge, which one should I replace?  The lines are magenta, so one would assume it’s the magenta cartridge causing the problem, but I hate to assume such things.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You didn't say what's the color of unwanted horizontal lines. If it's cyan then the cyan toner cartridge is bad needed to be replaced. It's a roller which inside the cartridge is the problem and there's nothing you can do about it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

You didn't say what's the color of unwanted horizontal lines. If it's cyan then the cyan toner cartridge is bad needed to be replaced. It's a roller which inside the cartridge is the problem and there's nothing you can do about it.

HP Recommended

Thank you.  That's what I hoped it was since that is the easiest thing to fix.  I figure it was going to cost me about two hundred bucks either way, so I didn't want to wander down the wrong path and spend that much twice.  I checked all the toner cartridges and they all looked fine.

I wonder if there is a warranty on cartridges.  I've printed less than 700 pages since replacing them and none of the prints had large swatches of color.  The magenta cartridge says it has 90% remaining.

Thanks again.

David

HP Recommended

Yes, HP has  warranty on its toner cartridge.

Try them first before buying another one.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.