Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet MFP M29W
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Whenever I print, the HP LaserJet MFP M28-M31 app shows a pop-up that says "Upgrade to AirPrint recommended..." and when I click on the Upgrade button it shows an "Upgrading..." progress "thermometer" that fills immediately but apparently never succeeds. What should I do (assuming I don't want to select the "Never" button)? Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @mbaker

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

HP LaserJet Pro MFP M29w Printer is AirPrint compatible.

• Which application are you trying to print from?
  • Have you tried printing different types of documents like PDF, Word, or Webpages and check if the issue persists?
  • Restart your wireless router, the printer, and the MAC.

For now, let us try these steps:

Update the software on MAC

Click the Apple icon > About This Mac > Software Update and install any available update.

Refer to page 52 of the user manual to know how to update the printer firmware.

Install the printer using the AirPrint driver as mentioned in this document and try printing.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Kumar,
Thanks for your reply. Fortunately, the last time the box popped-up saying, "Upgrade to AirPrint recommended..." it actually completed successfully and yes, AirPrint does work.

However, I am puzzled about the firmware update process. When I followed the instructions you referenced, in the manual, it lead to a web page "Software and drivers for HP LaserJet Pro MFP M28-M31 Printer series" https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-laserjet-pro-mfp-m28-m31-printer-series/16647082 which appears to have no Firmware section and no Firmware Update Utility. So how would I do it (for the HP LaserJet MFP M29W)?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@mbaker

Glad to know the issue is now resolved. As you are using macOS 10.15 Catalina, there is no firmware update available for this version of macOS yet from HP.

If you change the Operating system version to macOS 10.14, you will be able to see the firmware option on the HP Support page.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.