Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet 3200
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello,

I started noticing a vertical line of ink smudges on the left side of paper few weeks ago.  I also noticed that there were mini wrinkles on the smudged area of the paper.  The edges of the wrinkles closely followed the edges of the ink smudges. I inspected the printer and I did not find any blockage or defective/misaligned roller. I thought that toner cartridge may be bad, so I replaced the toner cartridge. 

Over the past few weeks, I have changed three toner cartridges but I am still getting the left vertical smudge line on the paper. Changing the tone did not alter the location of the smudge line at all. I also remover the cover of the fuser assembly to check the teflon sleeve and the teflon sleeve was ok. I did not check the pressure roller of the fuser assembly as it requiredHP3200_2.jpgHP3200_2_001.jpg me to pull out the fuser assembly. 

I am attaching the images of the smudges. What could be wrong with the printer casing this issue?

Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Measure the distance between 2 repetitive smudges and compare it with table below to determine what part is causing the smudges. Look slike a fuser to me.

Screenshot from 2020-08-09 15:02:49.png

My profile on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Measure the distance between 2 repetitive smudges and compare it with table below to determine what part is causing the smudges. Look slike a fuser to me.

Screenshot from 2020-08-09 15:02:49.png

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply which is very helpful.

I have measured the distance of the repetitive smudge pattern and it is 76 mm. I think I know that 'Toner cartridge photosensitive drum'  but where is 'Upper heating element film'  located? 

HP Recommended

the upper heating element is a component in the fuser assembly that bonds the toner to the paper. Typically it consists of a heating element and teflon coated mylar film. There are 3rd party rebuild kits out there but you want to check the condition of the pressure rolller as well because over time it can become wrinkled and result in voids in bonding and you do not want to replace one component only to find that the other is bad as well.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thank you Valsimot, you were right. It was the Upper Heating Element which was causing the issue. The Teflon sleeve which covers the heating element was damaged / ripped.  I replaced the damages Teflon sleeve and printer is now printing again without those smudges on the edge.

I am including the picture of the damaged sleeve as well as the part of the sleeve which is not damaged.

Thanks again for posing the Repetitive Image Deft Ruler guide.

Teflon_ripped.jpgTeflon_intact.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.