Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Color Laserjet Pro MFP M477fdn
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

If I scan (or use the "copy" facility) a document in the document feeder, the resulting copy (whether paper or electronic) has a thin black vertical line from the top of the page to the bottom, about 2.5 inches from the left side of the page.

This happens ONLY for pages run through the document feeder, so I can eliminate the flatbed portion of the scanner, and the printing side of the equation.

How do I clean (or otherwise fix) the scanner (I guess it's the contact image scanner?) in the document feeder to get rid of this vertical line?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @DSwanRChives,

I would suggest that you clean the glass that is responsible of the scanning via the document feeder.

Open the ADF lid so that you can see the glass of the scanner. You need to clean very carefully the left small glass, not the big one in the centre. Use a damp cloth. If there is a smudge or a thin line on that glass that can't be removed, then try with IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol).

I hope that helps.

Cheers!

ALEX-TATS
Printer Engineer for a HP Platinum Partner
I am not a HP employee
If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the “Accept as Solution” button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the “Thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi @DSwanRChives,

I would suggest that you clean the glass that is responsible of the scanning via the document feeder.

Open the ADF lid so that you can see the glass of the scanner. You need to clean very carefully the left small glass, not the big one in the centre. Use a damp cloth. If there is a smudge or a thin line on that glass that can't be removed, then try with IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol).

I hope that helps.

Cheers!

ALEX-TATS
I am not a HP employee
If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the “Accept as Solution” button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the “Thumbs up" button!
HP Recommended

SPOT ON, sir, thank you!  I hadn't even realized that little strip of glass existed, but that's exactly what the problem was.  Thanks a million!

HP Recommended

Thank you!  I wasted 10 minutes on the troubleshooting page, then downloaded the manual for my HP Officejet 6968 Pro, and still couldn't find THIS answer.  2 quick minutes with glass cleaner and cloth- PROBLEM SOLVED!  I also never realized there was a thin strip of glass to the left of the main scanner glass for the document feeder to scan.

HP Recommended

I cleaned the glass and rollers. Still happening. Through document feeder or glass.

HP Recommended

Same here...didn't help.  Only happens when I use the feeder...there must be a speck of dirt somewhere in the process the paper is going through...any other suggestions are welcomed. 

Thx

HP Recommended

If the vertical line(s) appear only when copying via the ADF, then it is definitely the glass (the little one on the left) that it is causing it. It could be a very small and persistent dirt on it, a little scratch or even something similar on the other side of the glass (beneath it). 

If there vertical or horizontal line(s) when copying from both ADF and flatbed glass, then it is the SCB (scanner control board) that is the main suspect and probably will need to be replaced.

ALEX-TATS
I am not a HP employee
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

I have an Officejet Pro 8610 and I lifted the lid of the document feeder and then lifted the scanner apparatus to give access to the scanner.  I wiped underneath the scanner unit with isopropyl alcohol and that cleared the problem.

HP Recommended

Cleaning the glass worked for my issue with the vertical line.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.