Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
M254dw
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Getting a Troubleshooting message that "More than one access point/wireless router has been found that matches your wireless network's name (SSID).  If this is unintended, your HP printer might connect to the wrong wireless network."

My 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless signals have the same SSID.  Is that a problem?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@silvaguard

"Same name SSID" is not a problem in the sense that you know which SSID is controlling which connections.

The network, on the other hand, is not as smart.  At the least, it is warning you that "something" might be amiss.  Network is not smart enough to discern what you intend.

To eliminate confusion and clarify the network setup, log into the router and assign a separate name to each of your networks.

Make sure your router is set up to broadcast both networks (2.4GHz and 5GHz).  (You have done this, else you would be getting more than a casual warning about SSID name.)

For example:

2.4G SSID network name = MyFancy24

5G SSID network name = MyFancy5

Most routers that provide dual service also allow you to set the characteristics of each of the networks.

For example,

• You can choose use the same (or different) passphrase (wireless password) for both the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz networks
  • You can decide whether one or both networks are broadcast or whether you must "add the network" connection manually using the SSID, the IP, the Passphrase, and the Security type (AES)
  • You might be able to separately assign other filters

As long as you remember the name of the network, you can assign your devices to the level of service (and name of the network) that is required / supported by that device.

For example,

• Most consumer printers (at this writing) only suppor 2.4GHz - assign your printer to this SSID (MyFancy24)
  • Phones and similar devices may support connecting to 5GHz - assign your iPhone (or other brand) to MyFancy5

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

What do you do when you've ALREADY changed the Network names and followed all this advice, and you STILL can't get the HP printer to connect?  Now I get one Error message saying that my first network (2.4GHz) has other networks detected matching my network name - but the SECOND network (5GHz), which does have a different name from the first, apparently cannot be found by the printer and so fails to connect for THAT reason (presumably because it's 5GHz).

The networks have different names that I'm careful to type in exactly; They both  are set to Broadcast SSID (but only the first network (2.4GHz) can be seen by the printer); I have PA security with passphrases that I type in correctly; but I can't get a connection.

I HAD them connected, but my son apparently set up a Router Extender upstairs - is it possible that this is somehow messing with the whole thing?

HP Recommended

@vannemack 

Welcome to the HP Community Forum.

Your issue might be as simple as the printer only supporting 2.4GHz (very common).

Does the printer support dual bandwidth?

Set / Adjust the settings in the Embedded Web Server (EWS)

EWS_9025_Network_Bandwidth_1EWS_9025_Network_Bandwidth_1

No Joy?

Likely sources of information include the printer's User Guide, the printer Specifications.

New Printer?  Checked your information?  You know that the printer supports the 5GHz bandwidth?

I suggest that you start a new thread, provide the suggested (and necessary) information about your printer model and your Operating System / version, describe the issue as you understand it, and (because it helps those who might offer to help) indicate what you have done to resolve the issue on your own.

Post New Question

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer

Clarification of terms and "what the printer can do" (Specifications)

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information, more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your device

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Brilliant Post - How to Ask Your Question

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.