Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi everybody.

When i try to enable the Web Services i get an error. I am connected to the internet (WiFi) and the connection is ok.

The error is the following:

Server Connection Error

The printer was unable to connect to the server. Check the internet connection and try again, or enter a proxy address.

I do not have a proxy, and the internet connection is ok! Why do i get this problem?

Thank you very much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Let's set a static IP address for the printer:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). You can find the DHCP range of the router using its internal settings page or in its manual. Use the CD that came with your router or type the router's IP address (ends in .1) into a browser.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway and first DNS. Leave the second one blank.  <<< The DNS could be your problem.  If this does not work, try Google's DNS 8.8.8.8
- Click 'Apply'.

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' using the new IP address.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.

View solution in original post

50 REPLIES 50
HP Recommended

Let's set a static IP address for the printer:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). You can find the DHCP range of the router using its internal settings page or in its manual. Use the CD that came with your router or type the router's IP address (ends in .1) into a browser.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway and first DNS. Leave the second one blank.  <<< The DNS could be your problem.  If this does not work, try Google's DNS 8.8.8.8
- Click 'Apply'.

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' using the new IP address.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Thank you!! The DNSs were wrong! I changed them in 192.168.1.6 (my static IP).

You are the best! Regards.

HP Recommended

Oh, in that case you should change them to your gateway IP (the router's IP), 192.168.1.1.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Excuse me, i wanted to say another thing.

I entered in 192.198.1.6 with a web browser, then I changed the DNSs (I put 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).

Thank you.

Regards.

HP Recommended

Oh, that makes sense.  Good job.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Applied the DNS correction to the HP 8500 A Plus printer and the web services started working.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

Applied the above mentioned DNS correction to the HP Photosmart 5510 and it also worked for me.  Thanks!

HP Recommended

Yo PrintDoc - I have a question.  Background - I had a similar problem with a C309a wireless printer.  Once it connected to the wirless network, all of the computers on the network loss internet access / connection but maintained the wirless network connection (computers could see each other and could see printer).  Windows 7 reported a DNS server not responding.  My hunch it had something to do with the printer, because eveything worked fine with it powered down.  So, when I saw the thread, even though it didn't exactly match my problem and the printer models were different, I went into the C309a printer and changed the Primary DNS to 8.8.8.8 instead of my routers address.  After powering down and restarting everything, the printer coming online did not drop the internet connection of the computers.  It's been working fine since then (4 days).

Question(s):

1. Can you explain why the problem happened in the first place and why the 8.8.8.8 fix worked?

2. Are there any implications of leaving it set that way - is my printer pinging google if 8.8.8.8 is set or is the router still really handling everything and this is a local network workaround?

Thanks in advance. 

HP Recommended

1. By default the printer uses the router's DNS server (whatever you have it set to).  Sometimes the printer cannot find the DNS or does not recognize it.  I don't know why.  By telling the printer to use Google's DNS directly on the Internet, the router is removed from the DNS equation.

2. I think you can leave it set this way with no problem.  If you want to play around, set your router to use the Google DNS and point the printer to the router for DNS (again).

I am employed by HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.