Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

I went to use a compatible ink cartridge (202A) in my HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw printer. I have used this brand/supplier in the past with no problems.  Yet, suddenly in April when I went to change out the empty cartridge (same brand I was swapping) it gives an error message. After some research, I discovered that HP did a firmware update that blocks 3rd party cartridges from being recognized, or used whatsoever. After investing nearly $400 in a printer and several hundred in ink, I think it's ridiculous that your company monopolizes who and or how we purchase toner/cartridges from.  I am seriously considering scrapping the printer, and buying a completely different brand altogether. Unless HP gives consumers the option (which was the case when I purchased this product) to buy 3rd party toner, and cartridges again, I will take my business elsewhere and recommend that other businesses do the same. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@AubMarLog, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

You can refill your cartridges or use remanufactured cartridges, but you may run into problems. HP will not guarantee the functionality of those ink cartridges.

QualityLogic, one of the world's foremost quality assurance organizations, tested the performance of HP inkjet print cartridges vs. remanufactured (refilled) brands. The results: original HP inkjet print cartridges far surpassed ink refills in both print quality and reliability.

Nearly one out of every six refilled ink cartridges tested was dead on arrival or failed prematurely 70% of refilled cartridges had some form of reliability problem Count on HP original ink cartridges for consistent, worry-free printing.

You may think you're saving money on remanufactured or refilled ink cartridges, but in the long run, the cost of wasted time, ink, and paper can more than make up the difference.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.