cancel
hcb2019 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Why do I get only 400 pages out of my printer cartridge?

MacBook
Unknown

The ads for cartridges for the HP 17A printer say it will print 1600 pages. I am getting 400 pages or less. What a total rip off for close to $70 per cartridge! To whom do I complain? Thanks for your help.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Provost Provost
Provost
30,218 25,812 2,361 7,867
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

According to the Specs for the HP 17a cartridge:

Page yield footnote

Approximate average yield based on ISO/IEC 19752. Actual yield varies considerably based on content of printed pages and other factors. For details see http://www.hp.com/go/learnaboutsupplies.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"----------V

Tags (1)
Professor
Professor
1,777 1,577 153 285
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bob is correct,  print volume can vary widely depending on how dense your prints are. Standard rating is based on 5% coverage which is basically a double spaced text page.

Find this information helpful? Please click Kudos or tag as solution. I am not an employee of HP but a current field service tech with 20+ years real world experience troubleshooting and fixing HP Imaging hardware.
Tags (1)
Provost Provost
Provost
25,029 24,666 4,448 9,517
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Additionally, do you refer to a purchased HP 17A cartridge or to a cartridge supplied in the printer box?

Be aware that the included cartridge in the box of the printer is smaller and intended for approx. 500-700 pages, not for 1600 pages as a cartridge purchased separately:

https://www8.hp.com/emea_middle_east/en/printers/product-details/product-specifications/9365259

Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos thumb up in the post.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
Tags (1)
hcb2019 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have had the same problem with the cartridge that came with the printer as I have had with cartridges that I have purchased since. It seems that, with each new cartridge, I get fewer and fewer pages printed. This seems like a total rip-off to me. I wish I didn't need my printer. It's very fussy, and it doesn't work well. But then again, that seems to be a universal problem with printers.

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation