Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
MacBook
Unknown

The ads for cartridges for the HP 17A printer say it will print 1600 pages. I am getting 400 pages or less. What a total rip off for close to $70 per cartridge! To whom do I complain? Thanks for your help.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

According to the Specs for the HP 17a cartridge:

Page yield footnote

Approximate average yield based on ISO/IEC 19752. Actual yield varies considerably based on content of printed pages and other factors. For details see http://www.hp.com/go/learnaboutsupplies.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Bob is correct,  print volume can vary widely depending on how dense your prints are. Standard rating is based on 5% coverage which is basically a double spaced text page.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Additionally, do you refer to a purchased HP 17A cartridge or to a cartridge supplied in the printer box?

Be aware that the included cartridge in the box of the printer is smaller and intended for approx. 500-700 pages, not for 1600 pages as a cartridge purchased separately:

https://www8.hp.com/emea_middle_east/en/printers/product-details/product-specifications/9365259

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

I have had the same problem with the cartridge that came with the printer as I have had with cartridges that I have purchased since. It seems that, with each new cartridge, I get fewer and fewer pages printed. This seems like a total rip-off to me. I wish I didn't need my printer. It's very fussy, and it doesn't work well. But then again, that seems to be a universal problem with printers.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.