3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wifi issues with laserjet m 281

laserjet m281
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Printer has lost Wifi   conectivity

I have removed  from Bt hub and restarted, Uninstalled and removed all Hp software  from Pc. 
reset  printer  (all done several times )
I can connect the printer to the  wifi and i can see it on the router, But cannot conect to it from my pc.
using HP doctor it can see it but cannnot  connect

If i try and print network settings its says its printing but all i see is the HP  circle spinning  and  nothing.
ive  reset the printer about a dozen times.
Its two year printer  but  has  very little usage. I just need to  find out  whats wrong and it it is  fixable. 
For some reason im not seeing an iP address on the router only the mac address and host name, This could be the reason but unsure how to fix 
thanks 

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
9,744 9,736 619 748
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Snailtrainer

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

What is the exact model of the printer you are using?

• Make sure MAC filtering is not enabled on your Wireless router. You may contact your Internet service provider for this information. If this is enabled, the printer may not be on the list of allowed devices to connect to it.
  • Make sure the printer and the PC are connected to the same wireless network.
  • This printer supports both 2.4GHz and 5GHz network.
  • If you have a Dual-band router and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks share the same name/SSID, the printer will not be able to connect to the network. In this case, contact your Internet service provider to assign different names to both the networks.

Restart the wireless router, the printer, and the PC

On the printer, go to Setup > Network > Restore network settings 

Go back to Network > Wireless > Wireless setup wizard > Choose your network and enter the password.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11
Level 11
4,350 4,335 448 928
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Many current wireless routers offer both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz communication. Out of box they typically use the same SSID to offer seamless fallover. The problem is that many HP printers only communicate on 2.4 Ghz but if the 5Ghz signal is stronger it will try to connect to that. The solution is to make sure your 2.4 wireless has a different SSID and that you connect the printer to that SSID only.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi  I am fairy It lirerate and  have  completed these steps many  times  but  it just will not work
I gone back to using ethernet for the time being , 
Im sure its a simple fix  but i am not seeing it 
But thanks 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Printer Is Hp Laserjet  MFP M281 FDW
mac filtering off
Only using 2.4ghz

I  run the wizard sometimes  it  appears to get an Ip sometimes it doesnt, 
Tried DHCP  and static 
Thanks 
This printer has been working fine  for  over 18 months 

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation