Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Laserjet 4000

I want to know how to get my laserjet HP 4000 to work with my windows 10 Dell computer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer would be to try this...

Assuming you are running W10 64 bit on your PC, download and save the 6th driver on the list from the link below...

Microsoft driver update for HP LaserJet 4000 Series PCL6

Soporte al cliente de HP - Descargas de software y controladores

Then download and install this free file utility.  The 2nd file at the top of the page is for 64 bit.

http://www.7-zip.org/

After you install 7-Zip, right click on the printer driver file you saved.

Select 7-Zip from the list of items you see.

Have 7-Zip Extract to: and let it extract the file into its folder name.

Then use the add printer wizard to install your HP LaserJet 4000 printer, when you get to where you need to install the driver, click on Have Disk and browse to the driver folder 7-Zip created>prnhp001, and select the HP LaserJet 4000 Series PCL6 printer from the list and the driver should install.

Hopefully, that will work for you.

View solution in original post

36 REPLIES 36
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer would be to try this...

Assuming you are running W10 64 bit on your PC, download and save the 6th driver on the list from the link below...

Microsoft driver update for HP LaserJet 4000 Series PCL6

Soporte al cliente de HP - Descargas de software y controladores

Then download and install this free file utility.  The 2nd file at the top of the page is for 64 bit.

http://www.7-zip.org/

After you install 7-Zip, right click on the printer driver file you saved.

Select 7-Zip from the list of items you see.

Have 7-Zip Extract to: and let it extract the file into its folder name.

Then use the add printer wizard to install your HP LaserJet 4000 printer, when you get to where you need to install the driver, click on Have Disk and browse to the driver folder 7-Zip created>prnhp001, and select the HP LaserJet 4000 Series PCL6 printer from the list and the driver should install.

Hopefully, that will work for you.

HP Recommended

>download and save the 6th driver on the list from the link below...

Thank you Paul_Tikkanen!

I only registered in order to thank you!

Your tip was the only one that worked after hours of searching.

Thanks a bunch!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

I follow your instructions but I think I am to stupid :LaughingTears:...

Unbenannt.PNG

When I save the download file on my desktop and unpack it with 7 zip, then 7 zip create a new folder on my desktop with the files in it. When I now choose this folder, then I have only one .inf file and one other folder with no content. Also, my computer gives the error that the folder doesn't contain a driver or that the driver is not for *64 systems. In the screenshot you can see the downloaded document on my desktop, the 7 zip created folder and in the printer conf. menu the content that I can choose.  

HP Recommended

Hi, @princess242

If you downloaded the 6th file on the list, that is the 64 bit file.

If you click on the prnhp001 setup information file, you will see that it is written for 64 bit operating systems.

;
; Windows Inbox Printer Drivers
;
[Version]
Signature="$Windows NT$"
Provider="Microsoft"
ClassGUID={4D36E979-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Class=Printer
CatalogFile=prnhp001.cat
DriverVer=06/21/2006,6.1.7233.0

[Manufacturer]
"HP"=HP,NTia64

If it is not installing, unfortunately I wouldn't know why it isn't.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your fast answer...

It seems that my pc is a little bit random, but that´s no problem. Then I buy another printer. Honestly my 4000 series is a little bit rusty :LaughingTears:.

have a nice day 

princess242

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You enjoy the rest of your day too!

HP Recommended

I have a HP Probook 450 with the latest updates to windows 10.  I am trying to install a HP Laserjet4 printer.  I am using a parral cable with a USB adapter.  The printer is not recognized.  I tried to download the drive listed above and received an error message that the printer will not work on my device.  HELP!

HP Recommended

Everything worked when using the 7 zip to download the driver for the HP 4000n until I hit the next button when I got the failed to download cannot locate file appeared.  I think I did it right after about 10 tries but no luck.  Any suggestions?  The only other oiece of info is that the printer is plugged and connected but is showing offline.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.