Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
LaserJet Pro CM1415fnw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everybody,

I'm using a CM1415 in my homeoffice since years now in combination with different devices (several computers / mobile phones). One computer is migrated from Win7 to Win10, the other one has a Win10 Prof. from the start. The migrated computer didn't have the issue directly after migration. It came after a certain update a few months ago. The new computer has the issue from the installation: When I use the printer setting "monochrome" in the Win10 printer app, the printed page still apears in colour.

I've already tried to re-install the printer driver dozen times, without success. Is this a Win10 or HP printer driver problem? Does anyone have a solution? Or is there anything else I can try?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That's great to hear 🙂 You can use HP Smart App for Windows for that: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04675142

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

To clearify a bit: I'm talking about the printer app, which is used by the Microsoft Edge and some apps like the adobe reader. Printing, using the standard windows dialogue (like in MS Office) works fine.

When I google a bit around for this issue, it seems I'm not allone: There are many posts of people that cannot print from Edge on some HP printers at all. I can at least print - but not as I'd like. :-(.

The Google results already start from 2015 - but nobody seems to have a solution except not using Microsoft Edge. The thing is, it's not only about Edge. Instead of Edge I could use anything different, instead of the adobe reader, there's also enough alternatives like PDF X-Change. But for some apps, there'll be no replacement.

HP Recommended

@postman78

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Let's try to do a root uninstall and reinstall of the software:

Unplug any USB cable, if any, before doing this.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo

14.) Type c:/programdata and click Ok. Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

15.) Restart the computer.

Once done, please download and install the software from here:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear Betty,

thank you for your support. I did the steps as mentioned, but it did not help.

When I use different setting options of the printer app (like page orientation) the setting is accepted and applied to the printed page. But however the colour setting is ignored by the printer...

Not sure, if this is a HP or a Microsoft (Edge) problem.

HP Recommended

@postman78

Are you referring to the HP Smart App for Windows 10?

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

No, it's the printer app, which is opened anytime when selecting "print" in MS Edge:

MS Edge printer app.PNG

As already mentioned: When printing from any other software like MS Word, the Windows standard dialogue for printer settings is opened instead and there's no problem. Only with MS Edge, Windows Mail App and other "Apps". It seems, that Windows 10 Professional has two different printer setting dialogs: The standard dialog, which is used by all programs and the printer app, which is used by MS Edge and "Apps" that come out of the Microsoft Store.

HP Recommended

@postman78

You can try uninstalling and reinstalling Microsoft Edge.

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry for asking, but: Are you sure?

There isn't any official way foreseen by Microsoft to unsinstall Edge (no uninstall available via the app control). This is because it is deeply melted into Windows 10 (Cortana, ...). The only way is tricking around with a 3rd party script, that may lead to damages to the system.

HP Recommended

@postman78

Instead, we could try resetting Edge:

1. Open MS Edge.
  2. Find a page you want to print.
  3. Open the More actions in Edge by clicking on the (…) icon located at the top-right side of the browser.

2. After opening the tab, click on the Settings present at the end of the tab panel. In the settings panel, navigate to Clear browsing Data and click on the button labeled as Choose what to clear.

edge2

3. Inside clear browsing data tab, check the boxes including Browsing History, Cookies and saved website data, cached data and files as shown in the picture below. After checking the boxes, click on the grey Clear button in order to reset the browser to its default. It would start clearing.

edge3

4. After the clearing process is completed, open the Task Manager. You can open it by pressing Win + X and selecting the task manager from the list. Inside the task manager, right click on the Microsoft Edge and select Go to details.

edge4

5. Now, right click on exe and select the End task. Do the same for anything named with Microsoft Edge. It would force close the Edge browser services and when you will open the browser again, the entire browser will be reset.

edge5

Try to print.

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

No, doesn't help. The print out is still in colour, despite seletion is "monochrome".

Sorry for my late reply.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.