Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Laserjet 6L
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have just upgraded to Windows 10 and have updated the drivers to use  a HP Laserjet 6 L usng the Windows update.

I am using a USB to parallel converter cable.

The printer will print the test page but will not print a file selected in Word. 

Help!

Any ideas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

> The printer will print the test page but will not print a file selected in Word. 

If you are able to print a test page from the PC's printer properties window then the printer should be properly installed.  This is the normal confirmation that the drivers and printer communcation is established between the PC and the printer.

If an application cannot print it is then isolated down to an application or OS issue.  In many cases the application is directing print to the wrong printing port or the wrong printing queue by default.  A manual tweak of the application settings or sometimes a reset/reinstall can correcet those configuration settings.

Lets isolate the application problem further.  Can you print from other applications and file types such as a .txt, .pdf or a website?  If so that further isolates the problem back to an MS Office configuration conflict.  If multiple applications are failing then perhaps the printing queue has become corrupt.

Can you print brand new Word documents?  Sometimes previous printer settings do not transfer over to a new printer queue and cause conflicts or timeouts.  In that case you may have to recreate the document with the new printing parameters to print correctly.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

> The printer will print the test page but will not print a file selected in Word. 

If you are able to print a test page from the PC's printer properties window then the printer should be properly installed.  This is the normal confirmation that the drivers and printer communcation is established between the PC and the printer.

If an application cannot print it is then isolated down to an application or OS issue.  In many cases the application is directing print to the wrong printing port or the wrong printing queue by default.  A manual tweak of the application settings or sometimes a reset/reinstall can correcet those configuration settings.

Lets isolate the application problem further.  Can you print from other applications and file types such as a .txt, .pdf or a website?  If so that further isolates the problem back to an MS Office configuration conflict.  If multiple applications are failing then perhaps the printing queue has become corrupt.

Can you print brand new Word documents?  Sometimes previous printer settings do not transfer over to a new printer queue and cause conflicts or timeouts.  In that case you may have to recreate the document with the new printing parameters to print correctly.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

HP Recommended
Printer was printing its own test page as opposed to OS test page. Reloaded driver several times avoided the generic driver for the 6L. Checked printer port was on usb option.

Eventually it took and was able to print OS test page ok. Now working fine. Many thanks.

So glad to get it working as i had just had cartridges refilled for it. Tremendous printer. built like a tank and economical to run.
HP Recommended

Instructions for Installing HP Laserjet 6l on Windows 8 or 10 Computer

1.  Before doing anything, click on "Windows Update" and  let it run (takes a few minutes). If you didn’t have the correct driver before  then that should give it to you.
2.  Control Panel - Devices and Printers
3.  Click on "Add a Printer"
4.  Click on "The printer that I want isn't listed"
5.  For "Parallel to USB" connection, choose "Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings"
6.  Pick an existing port.  I use a cable that has LPT port (Parallel plug) at one end, USB at the other end.  So my
     choice is USB001 (Virtual printer port for USB).  Change it if it says “LPT 1” if necessary.
7.  Now you see the list of manufacturers and models. 
8.  Select HP as the model, and select HP "LaserJet 6L" as the printer.  Without Windows Update, it will only show
    "HP LaserJet 6 PS Class Driver", which causes the problem.  Stick to "HP LaserJet 6L"
9.  The rest is straight forward.  Print a test page and check if it comes out right.
    If the above doesn’t work, try swapping USB ports on computer (USB 2 to USB 3 or vice-versa). The above was successful
    for me in Windows 10, 64bit.

HP Recommended

Thanks, great answer. Seems my printer only works with 32bit Windows 10 with this method. With 64 bit it appears dead, other printers work for me on 64bit.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.