Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

I just bought a brand new computer with Windows 7 64bit installed on it.

After hooking it up, I connected my HP psc 2175 All In One Printer to it.

Windows 7 recognized that I had an HP psc 2100 series printer and said that it would go online to look for the driver to install.

After 10 minutes of searching, it tells me that I need "troubleshooting" which means "go look for it yourself."

I went to the HP website and the only help I found was a page telling me how to get my Windows 7 to recognize my printer.

My Windows 7 already recognizes it.

What I need is an explanation about to make Windows 7 download the proper Printer Driver to allow my printer to work.

Any help?

Does this driver not exist for Windows 7 and HP PSC 2175 All In One Printer?

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

The driver for the PSC 2175 is supplied through WIndows Update.  You need to enable Windows Update as described in HP's page here.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

So the HP page says there is no driver at all for my Printer with Windows 7 ( Lucky Me) and that I need to configure my Windows 7 to use the automatic  Windows Update to find a driver to install.

As I mentioned in my original post, it already did this.

It recognized my printer and then starting searching for a driver with no luck.

Anyway, next on the HP page it tells me to connect my printer to my computer with a USB cable and then Windows 7 will look for the most appropriate driver to make my printer work.

So I connect the USB cable and it dings once and that's it.

No message.

No downloading.

No status bar.

Nothing.

It just dinged to recognize that I plugged in the USB cable.

According to the HP page, I should get a window telling me that My Automatic Windows Update is complete.

Mine apparently didn't even start.

So now what should I do? 

How can I make it download the generic printer driver without just expecting it to do so simply because a USB cable was inserted?

HP Recommended

Open the Device Manager from Control Panel. Not click on View>Show Hidden Devices. Now look under Printers. Do you see your printer listed under it? If you go to its Properties page, does it show that the device is working properly?

I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.
HP Recommended

It actually does show that my Printer is one of my devices.

However, under Properties for my printer, it shows that my printer can do a few things like scan or fax, but it does not say that it can print.

As a test, I tried to make it scan. It made my printer react, but it did not actually scan the page. Then there was an error message on the screen saying that it could not do it.

HP Recommended

Did you try printing anyway and see if it printed?

HP Recommended

Yes, I created a document and tried to print it.

When the print window opens, I am not allowed to choose my printer as a destination.

As I mentioned, Windows 7 realizes that I have a psc 2175 printer and under properties, it thinks the 2175 can scan and fax, but there is nothing listed showing that it can print.

Since HP has no driver for my 2175, what is it supposed to be using as a substitute?

And more importantly, how can I get to it myself, without relying on Windows 7 to find and download it for me?

HP Recommended

You can use the HP Deskjet 990c as an alternate driver. But you'll need to select the printer port as USB00x(a number in place of 'x'), which I'm not sure will be available. Check for it.

HP Recommended

le pilot hp fait erour sons telecharges sur le site hp merci...........

HP Recommended

Can I hook up my hp psc 2175 printer to my new Windows 7?  I have the original disk for printer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.