Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet MFP M281fdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My wireless printer has worked fine for over a year, but now it drops 'offline' even a few minutes after a restart.  I have applied the firmware update from November 2019, but there appears to be no pattern or explanation as to why it has started misbehaving.

My iMac is also connected wirelessly and that too has the same issue.

Is there a logical explanation that I am missing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

There are compatibility problems reported associated with the W10 May update.  As a first step, I suggest downloading the new Print & Scan Doctor diagnostics utility, version 5.3.1.004, released shortly after the W10 update.  It may give you an indication of the problem.

You might also consider checking if W10 has another newer driver and if so, installing it.  IIRC there is a dialog somewhere in Settings to do just that.  MS catalogs its own hardware drivers, and on occasion will provide a fix to a problem an OS upgrade has caused before the hardware manufacturer does.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

There are compatibility problems reported associated with the W10 May update.  As a first step, I suggest downloading the new Print & Scan Doctor diagnostics utility, version 5.3.1.004, released shortly after the W10 update.  It may give you an indication of the problem.

You might also consider checking if W10 has another newer driver and if so, installing it.  IIRC there is a dialog somewhere in Settings to do just that.  MS catalogs its own hardware drivers, and on occasion will provide a fix to a problem an OS upgrade has caused before the hardware manufacturer does.

HP Recommended

The Print & Scan Doctor did not help, until I updated the firmware, which was released in June 2020.  Now the Doctor says it has done some fixes, so I am crossing fingers for the next few days.  

Thanks Mingus 511 for your suggestions as it provided me with a plan. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.