Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8710
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

For months now, when starting up my pc, the 8710 printer has had problems connecting for scanning. (Printing worked just fine.) The printer is connected wirelessly to my homegroup network, which also includes this desktop and a laptop pc.

The apparently permanent fix (since the problem started) via the HP troubleshooting has involved a box that comes up in the boot-up process, that first says the scanning process isn't working, with two buttons ffor me to choose. (One says FIX, and I think the other says RESTART.)  Within the following minute or so, the problem gets resolved and the message and buttons change to tell me that. I then hit the one button now provided, and continue with whatever I need to do.

However, for the past few days, the problem has had trouble resolving itself. I think one time a reboot worked. Another time, turning the printer off and back on worked. Today, it began to look like NOTHING was going to work.

I used the FIX button and went thru all it told me to. First, it took 10-20 minutes trying (apparently unsuccessfully) to contact the printer. Then it had me turn the printer off and back on again. Then, it took me back to a point where it looked like I now had TWO 8710 printers installed(!) and started over from there. After another long wait while it tried to fix things, it had me unplug the printer, close everything on my computer, plug the computer back in, and reboot the computer. (It said to plug the printer in and turn it on, but it came on automatically; it had NOT said to turn it off before unplugging it, so I had just unplugged it.)

By this time (and maybe earlier), the printer would neither scan nor print! The SCAN DOCTOR then again had me do most of what I had already done again. It still took forever attepting to communicate with the printer, during which time I went to lunch. When I came back, it was displaying a screen with two large buttons at the bottom. I forget exactly what they said, but both implied that there was still a problem.

Before doing anything else, I tried printing something, and that worked. Then I tried scanning something, and that worked too. So I hit the upper-right "X" to get out of that window.

SCAN DOCTOR then took me to a "Thank You" screen, where it offered me 5 other options if I was still experiencing problems. The first option was "Chat with our Virtual Agent". I tried that, but got no response.

Mainly, I am now wondering if there is a fix for this, or if I'm going to have to buy a new printer (or at least a scanner).  I do probably 10-20 times as much scanning as printing, and the printing part of this machine seems to be working as long as the "fix scanner" process doesn't confuse it.

Thanks for any help you can give,

Tim Deaton

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Tim0926

Assign Manual IP to the printer:

1) Print a Network configuration page from the printer's control panel. 

2) Look for IP address from the Network configuration page. 

3) Open web browser - Chrome or IE or any other browser that you are using. 

4) Type the IP address mentioned on Network configuration page into the browser's address bar or URL bar and press enter button. 

5) Go to the Network tab. 

6) Click on Networking from the left pane. 

7) Then click on Network Address (IP). 

😎 Click on Manual IP Address and go to suggest a Manual IP. 

9) Scroll down the screen and select Manual DNS server. 

10) Enter the Primary and secondary DNS server from the Network Configuration page into the Manual Preferred DNS server field. 

11) Click on Apply. 

Refer to the video link for step by step instructions - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCnYyq80V9g 

Note: The video is for win 8 but steps are similar for other operating systems as well. You need to enter the IP address in the browser's URL or the address bar to access the printer page.

Create TCP/IP Port: 

1. Search Windows for devices, and then select "Devices and Printers" In the list of results.

2. Right-Click the name of your printer, and then select Printer Properties.

3. Click the Ports tab, click on "Add port" select "Standard TCP/IP Port" and click "New Port"

4. Click next on the Add Standard TCP/IP printer port wizard, enter the printer IP address and click next and then click on "OK".

5. Now under the "Ports" tab you will find the Newport with the printer IP address, click "Apply" and "OK".

6. Restart the computer.

Keep me posted.

Have a great day!

Cheers 🙂

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@Tim0926

Is the copy working fine?

If you are facing the same issue while making a copy follow the below document.

Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-8710-all-in-one-printer-series/7902014/documen... for Resolving Copy Problems.

If the copy is working fine, I recommend you delete the driver at the root level and Install the drivers, follow the steps below:

Remove the USB if connected

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2.) Select your HP Printer 

3.) Select Uninstall 

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose `Delete' or `Remove Device' 

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. 

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between "printui.exe" and "/s") 

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab 

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers 

Then, Click on this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-officejet-pro-8710-all-in-one-printer-series/790... to download and install the printer driver.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thank you for joining the HP Community:)

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Sorry for taking so long to respond.  The COPY process was working.  The thing was working intermittently (If it didn't work when I first booted up, a reboot was likely to get it working), so I waited til I had some free hours to attempt the rest of the process.  That happened about the 30th.  I then went thru the rest of what you suggested.  Deleting the old stuff wasn't quite as straight-forward as I would have hoped.  (What I found on the screen didn't quite match up with the directions).  But over about 5 or 6 hours (between interruptions) I did get thru the entire process.  (I haven't tried to print anything from my laptop yet, and should probably test that.  Nearly all printing & scanning is from this desktop.)

It does seem to have helped some, but the problems do still occasionally appear.  The first time I started the computer this morning the scanner never connected.  And at least a couple of times it has worked on start-up, but a few hours later it had ceased communicating with the computer.

HP Recommended

@Tim0926

Assign Manual IP to the printer:

1) Print a Network configuration page from the printer's control panel. 

2) Look for IP address from the Network configuration page. 

3) Open web browser - Chrome or IE or any other browser that you are using. 

4) Type the IP address mentioned on Network configuration page into the browser's address bar or URL bar and press enter button. 

5) Go to the Network tab. 

6) Click on Networking from the left pane. 

7) Then click on Network Address (IP). 

😎 Click on Manual IP Address and go to suggest a Manual IP. 

9) Scroll down the screen and select Manual DNS server. 

10) Enter the Primary and secondary DNS server from the Network Configuration page into the Manual Preferred DNS server field. 

11) Click on Apply. 

Refer to the video link for step by step instructions - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCnYyq80V9g 

Note: The video is for win 8 but steps are similar for other operating systems as well. You need to enter the IP address in the browser's URL or the address bar to access the printer page.

Create TCP/IP Port: 

1. Search Windows for devices, and then select "Devices and Printers" In the list of results.

2. Right-Click the name of your printer, and then select Printer Properties.

3. Click the Ports tab, click on "Add port" select "Standard TCP/IP Port" and click "New Port"

4. Click next on the Add Standard TCP/IP printer port wizard, enter the printer IP address and click next and then click on "OK".

5. Now under the "Ports" tab you will find the Newport with the printer IP address, click "Apply" and "OK".

6. Restart the computer.

Keep me posted.

Have a great day!

Cheers 🙂

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

On the "HP Network Configuration Page" printout (which was 2.5 pages long), I see TWO IP Address Listings:

One is under "802.11 Wireless" and the other is under "Wi-Fi" Direct".  Both are under an "IPv4" sub-heading. 

Which do I use?

HP Recommended

@Tim0926

Refer to the video link for step by step instructions to  assign manual IP - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCnYyq80V9g 

Keep me posted.

Have a great day!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

The video only accidentally answered that question.  The section heading "802.11 wireless" was visible and readable for maybe 1/2 second as the video zoomed in to the IP address.  But after seeing that, I was able (with some difficulty) to briefly connect to the printer (after rebooting the printer).  But then, by the time I entered the primary and Secondary DNS Server addresses, the computer had lost contact with the printer again.  I tried three more times, rebooting either the printer or the computer between each, but was never able to get them in touch with each other again.  At this point, I'm going to bed.  I'll try again Monday.

HP Recommended

@Tim0926

Try again and keep me posted for further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have not made any more attempts to change things in the last two weeks.  I have no idea whether it now has a fixed IP address or not.  I've printed out 4 "Network Configuration Page" reports during this process.  The first one (9/6), before I tried to change things, showed the IPv4 IP Address as 192.168.1.87.  After my attempts to change things above, it read 192.168.1.219 (on 9/8), which is what it still reads today.  All I know is that most of the time (but NOT all the time) the printer & scanner work.  So I'm leaving it at that for now. 

Thanks for your attempts to help.  It's better than it was when I started.

HP Recommended

@Tim0926

I'm glad to hear you found the solution you were looking for.

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution!

Take care now and do have a great week ahead.

:)Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.