cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Note for common printer problems
Customers receiving the"will damage your computer" message along with others like "unable to access cups/tmp" or "'@%' cannot be opened" need to update their version of the macOS. Please check this article for more information: HP Printers - A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing (macOS) .
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

an install operation took too long to execute

HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro 200 Color M251
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to install the drivers for the printer on a window 10 64-bit laptop. Each time I install it goes all the way to 99% and immediately comes back with the "an installation took too long to execute. this is a fatal error preventing product use"

When installing i tried from a CD, from the integrated drivers available on the pseudo drive of the printer that appears on the laptop when the laptop is connected and also downloaded new drivers from HP but the problem will not go away.

I have tried all efforts prescribed but somehow this problem but the problem will not go away on this laptop. For instance I have uninstalled the drivers, removed the printer from the list of printers, etc. .  However, when isolating the problem i tried on a different laptop still runing windows 10 64-bit. I experienced the same problem at the beginning but installing from the pseudo drive worked on that laptop. I tried the same approach on the original laptop it still does work.

I'm desperate who has a better solution for this and what is it.

Regards,

Ref

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
25,874 25,860 1,720 2,363
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Refiloe

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Forums, 

I see you are unable to install the printer software on one of the computers running on Windows 10. I will be happy to help. Kudos to you for trying to troubleshoot the issue on your own and providing the steps tried in such good detail. 

Recommend you to uninstall the printer again from Programs and features (Control Panel)

Check in device manager, if the printer is listed there, please delete it.

Go to devices and printers, select any printer listed there and you will get some options on the top. 

Click on print server properties. 

You will get a popup, click on the drivers tab and delete all the HP printer drivers listed there, if any.

Restart the PC.

Update the firmware on the printer using the control panel on the printer. (Will require the printer to be connected to your wireless network.)

Once the PC is on the desktop, press Win + R, it would bring a Run dialog box, 

Type %temp% in the run box and click Ok or hit the Enter button.

It would bring up the temporary files folder. Delete the files in the folder (You might not be able to delete all the files).

Restart the PC again. 

Download the latest full feature driver from www.hp.com/drivers and install it on the computer. 

If possible, delete the printer from the registries using regedit or using any other 3rd party application.

If the issue persists, please contact our phone support for assistance. 

Let me know if this helped,

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I ended up installing the printer through a print server as a network printer. It worked after doing that and now I have handed over the printer back to the user. I will definitely try this fix should I experience this issue again.

Regards,

Refiloe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
25,874 25,860 1,720 2,363
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Refiloe

Thank you for posting back.

Perfect, I am really glad to hear that! 

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

You have a good day ahead.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Take care now and have a splendid week ahead.

Take care!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

Highlighted
Level 1
8 6 1 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Did you ever get the USB to work?  This is not really a solution to the original problem (not being able to install the software on a locally connected printer).

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation