Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
LaserJet Pro 200 Color MFP
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

First scan is fine on a freshly turned on printer, but second scan has single vertical line on each page.  Can clear and start fresh by turning printer off and on, but only good for 1 scan, then line(s) appear again.  Followed all instructions for cleaning and made no difference.  No lines when using flatbed scanner. HELP!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Black lines are 99% of the time dirt or contamination. Scan the document and take the printed copy with the defect open the lid and line up the defect copy with the paper path the original would follow and the defect will show you exactly where you need to look. Even a small spec of adhesive from a sticky note, which is clear and hard to see can cause this defect. Also check the feed area as sometimes a little bit of paper can get in there and move around and cause random defects.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Thanks for your answer but re-cleaned everything and first scan is fine but the line still appears the second time I do a scan.

HP Recommended

If first page's scan is fine then it points out that you got the right way.

Check carefully the pathway of ADF while sacn to see if there's anything else you can do.

HP Recommended

Realized my post isn't clear.  First adf scan of multi pages = no line.  After file saved and a new scan done, line appears on all pages; same happens on subsequent scans.  If I turn printer off and wait a minute, next time I scan multi pages = no line, but lines appear on next scans done.  Thinking must be something electrical since I can clear for one scan by powering down?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.