Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Out of the box, a new HP LaserJet M404dn is outputting blank or severely faded pages as if it was out of toner.  It is brand new as should be the toner that shipped with it.   The printer is not giving any errors and is displaying the same blank prints, whether from a print job from the computer, or a test/demo page from the printer itself.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Make sure that the drive components on the right hand side of the cartridge look like the picture below. Beyond that, if this is a brand new unit I would be on the phone with the vendor or HP Tech Support.

404 drive.jpg

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thanks repairtrooper.  It does indeed look like that on the toner cartridge and it doesn't seem to be jammed up at that connection point.  It is trying to print it is just very very faint.   I checked a similar printer M402dn and the cartridge was also aligned as in your picture and that one is not having any issues.  Unfortunately the cartridges are different and I don't have a spare for the newer M404 to try.  I'll try to get them on the phone tomorrow.   

HP Recommended

Pull out the toner cartridge and check for a small piece of plastic tape that may be hanging out of a slot, typically at the left end, but check both ends. If you see the tape, grab firmly and pull it quickly out of the cartridge. This is the toner seal tape strip that needs to be removed to release the toner. Also, check inside the printer for any pieces of paper or other material that may be inside that could be blocking the laser. I've seen cartridges come with a small piece of black paper in the cartridge at the top that's supposed to be removed before putting in printer, but folks don't see it and it causes problems.

HP Recommended

Quick note on current HP 400 series toner cartridges. True HP toners do not have a pull strip on them and are ready to go out of the package once they have been shaken to distribute toner. If there is a toner dam it is self removing the first time that the printer is turned on. 3rd part and reman may have a strip but user indicated this was a brand new printer and toner.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Correct repairtrooper.  It is a brand new printer and toner, no pull strip like the toners of old.  Nothing to remove. Nothing to remove from the cavity of the printer either.  Toner was shook well.  We are contacting vendor for possible replacement since hp wasn't any help.   Also, this is our first M404 and we don't have any toners to swap to try and aren't about to buy another for a possible problematic printer.  

HP Recommended

Agreed, but just wanted to cover all the bases just in case. I didn't want to assume anything that wasn't specifically stated.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.