12-23-2019 12:44 PM
I have a HP officejetpro 6978 printer and get my scanner to work with the usb cable, I been using it for 2 years with no problems but now it says to make sure scanning software has been installed and configured on my computer.
12-25-2019 02:08 PM
@jimoconnor Welcome to HP Community!
I understand that you are unable to scan your computer.
To assist you better, I would like to know the following information:
- Do you get any error message when you try to install or connect the printer via USB?
- Did any software changes or updates happen on your computer?
While you respond to that, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix:
- In case you prefer to have the printer connected wirelessly as compared to the USB then the steps from this HP document will help to fix printer offline issues. These are tried and tested steps and help in fixing printer offline issues.
If you prefer to have the printer connected via USB then please attempt the following steps:
NOTE: If you're going to connect the printer via USB, then do not connect it initially. Begin the installation first and later there will be a prompt to connect the printer. That's when you may connect the printer.
- Please download and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor software. This is a free tool for Windows to help resolve issues with printer drivers.
If the printer still does not get installed via USB then let us uninstall the existing drivers from the root level and then reinstall them. The following steps will help:
- In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
- Select your HP printer.
- Select Uninstall.
- In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
- In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
- Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
- Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
- Click on the Drivers tab.
- Look for the HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
- Select OK.
- Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
- Close Devices and Printers.
- Please download and install the drivers from this link.
let me know how that pans out,
And the answer to the above question will help me, help you!
Keep me posted, and if any of the above questionnaires helped resolve the issue,
Mark this post as an "Accepted Solution".