Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Laserjet Enterprise m506x

I need to know how to perform a cold reset on this printer.  The user guide says to do it at the control panel via Administration > General Settings > Restore Factory Settings or in EWS General Tab > Restore Factory Settings > Reset.  Neither of those methods work, all the settings are still retained.  I've done this several times and it's not clearing anything.  I want to reset it back how it came out of the box.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended
Maybe tomorrow I'll have time to look up the process but at this point I'm curious as to why you want to reset it.

Are you having a problem you think the reset will resolve? If so what is the issue.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
HP Recommended

I would think it has gone back to factory defaults since both methods should work.  Maybe it was already at factory defaults.  What setting are you trying to change that you think should be at factory default?

HP Recommended

Any setting that I set I would think go back to default settings.  For example, static IP settings going back to DHCP, Access Control Lists being emptied, administrator password unset, network protocols disabled going back to enabled, just to name a few.  It appears that it is not doing a factory reset but just a reset.  Is there another way to cold reset?

One more edit: I tried to do a cold reset though Web JetAdmin and still none of the settings are going to factory default. http://techzeus.com/everything-print/web-jetadmin/how-perform-cold-reset-hp-printers-using-web-jetad...

HP Recommended
The logo that appears on the Touch Screen during initialization.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
HP Recommended

yeah you would think that would be self evident.

I have a four line control panel. No touch screen here. Thanks anyway.

HP Recommended

I figured it out for my M506.  If you have the non-touch panel, when you see the "1/8" appear on the screen, hit the red 'X' button to access the pre-boot options screen.  Follow all the other directions as described in the solution (option 8, option 2, etc.) to perform a cold reset.

HP Recommended

This worked for me! Thankyou!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.