Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
LaserJet Enterprise M553

Our office just got the M553 on recommendation of our IT guys. We're very surprised to see that the bypass tray is called Tray 1. Is there a way to set the default printing tray as Tray 2, at the machine so each employee doesn't have to repeatedly check which tray they want to use?  Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If you set the paper type as Plain letter and set the MP tray to match the paper you have loaded this should provide a default printing from Tray 2, this setting is done on the control panel of the printer. Then ensure that the print driver is set for a default paper selection of plain letter, then the only time it will print from the MP or tray 1 is if someone prints a job and selects either the tray or paper type within the driver properties.

Do not set any tray to any size/any type.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

If you set the paper type as Plain letter and set the MP tray to match the paper you have loaded this should provide a default printing from Tray 2, this setting is done on the control panel of the printer. Then ensure that the print driver is set for a default paper selection of plain letter, then the only time it will print from the MP or tray 1 is if someone prints a job and selects either the tray or paper type within the driver properties.

Do not set any tray to any size/any type.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

That's helpful, thanks very much! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.