patclarkmcf Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

document feeder does not feed paper it jambs

the paper only feeds half way thru the document feeder the stops and i get a jamb message, the paper is just hanging out under the tray and doesnt feed thru to the end

5 REPLIES
Distinguished Professor Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2867 161 419
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post

Sounds like a typical paper jam.

Visit HPs support website and review the support material for your printer model. There should be atleast a User Manual and perhaps a few model specific documents on fixing paper jams.

Otherwise all you normally have to do is clear the jam, make sure the paper path is clear and reboot the printer.  The printer will try to verify everything is working from there. 

My HP Enterprise Profile
My Verizon Wireless profile

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.
0 Kudos
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post

In the document feeder the paper only feeds half way and stops, if you open the lid, the paper is sticking out 3 inches and not going into the exit tray
0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
2867 161 419
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post

Paper jams occur when a roller either slips or grips too much and sends teh passing paper into one of the walls along the paper path.  Thus you need to clear all the obstructions and debris from the current jam.  Then evaluate the rollers to see if they can be cleaned or need to be replaced.

I would suggest starting with a damp lint free cloth and wiping down the paper roller in the document feeder.  Send a test scan through and see if you get another jam.  If so then consider purchasing a replacement roller or roller kit for your printer model to swap out that part.

My HP Enterprise Profile

When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.
0 Kudos
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post

Thanks for the info, the printer is 4 months old and it the first time we are using the document feeder, everything is clear, the paper feeds in then stops
0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
2867 161 419
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post

If the printer is only 4 months old then it should have warranty remaining on it.  Contact HP directly and work with a support rep for the various options that HP can offer.  Paper Jams are physical issues so chances are HP will have to either send you replacement parts, a tech to replace the parts or swap the entire printer to resolve the issue.

My HP Enterprise Profile

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation