Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Performed the latest firmware  (20201021) update on my MFP M281fdw and it has effectively killed the printer network functions.  I can connect via USB only and it is fine.  But the moment I connect Ethernet or Wireless, it goes into a reboot loop with Service Error 79.  I have confirmed that there are no "print jobs" hiding anywhere on my network and networked equipment (computers, etc.) have even been turned off 100% while I continued to test and receive this error while connected to the network.  Further, I have also fully shutdown my entire network AND internet then rebooted and STILL The same problem!

Would love to have a way to fix this issue!

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Exact same issue.  I notice the option in the printer menu to allow downgrade, but they don't make the 20200612 firmware available to download & install.. rather convenient. 

HP Recommended

I have the same issue and have worked hours trying to fix it. Have reloaded the newest firmware at least half dozen times with no help. And HP support is worthless as no way to talk to anyone - which is bad since their update clearly caused the issue.

HP Recommended

@adamtech1

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and I understand your concerns

Please check your Inbox

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Can you please share solution with all of us?

HP Recommended

I received the same Service Error 79 after updating my MFP M281fdw firmware to M280_Series_FW_Update-20201021. Fortunately I had a copy of firmware HP_LaserJet_Pro_M280_M281_Printer_series_20200612. After downgrading to firmware 20200612, the Service Error 79 has gone away. HP, please resolve this issue. 

(FYI, I only use genuine HP consumables)  

James Taylor

HP Recommended

Did you ever get a response? I have the same issue and cannot downgrade to the firmware that actually worked. I basically have an expensive paper-holder now. 

HP Recommended

OSUBUCKS, Seems disabling IPv6 will fix the error (see below)

Disconnect the printer from the NETWORK
--If on wired network : Unplug the Ethernet cable from back of the printer.
--If on wireless network : Power of the Wireless router. Turn off the printer.

Wait for 30 seconds. Turn on the printer.

If the printer is in READY state, on the printer front panel, go to Setup -> Network Setup -> Network Services -> IPv6 -> Off. Turn off the printer.

Re enable your network router

Wait for 30 seconds and then turn printer on.

HP Recommended

I never received an answer from Krazy Toad or any other HP person. Wrote him directly through HP messaging as well as via post above.

I was able to download a copy of the older firmware and have patched together something that works but not the best solution. I also found with the latest software that it would work using the USB connection, just make sure you never turned on the printer's wireless. 

Since my printer is more than a year old and out of warranty, I can't even get through to the help desk. So only option via this post.

Very poor response and assistance from HP.

HP Recommended

I think this worked! Thanks for taking the time to help, since HP doesn't feel the need to communicate any of this, apparently. Greatly appreciated!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.