Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an HP Laser Jet P2055dn printer. How can I print both letter and legal docs at same time?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Not quite sure what you mean by "print both letter and legal docs at same time".

If you mean that sometimes you want to print a document on Letter size paper, and at other times you want to print a different document on Legal sized paper, then all that is neccessary is to ensure that:

• The printer knows what Paper Size (e.g. Letter or Legal) is present in each tray; on many LaserJet devices, the size is detected automaticaly by sensors in each tray (except for the drop-down tray), but some devices may require that you set the size via front panel menus, or (for network models) via the Embedded Web Server equivalent.
  • You may also need to specify what Paper Type (e.g. Plain or Letterhead) is present in each tray, in order to distinguish between two or more trays which have the same paper size loaded.
  • Within your appllcation / print preferences, ensure that you select the required combination of size and type for the document.

But if you mean how do you print a document with some pages on one size of paper, and other pages on a different size, this may only be possible with bespoke applications and/or printer drivers.

HP Recommended

Hi!

I do appreciate your answer, but my question was actually for the latter of your response. Obviously, I did not quite ask my question correctly for it to be totally understood.

I do thank you anyways!

HP Recommended

The answer to your (revised) question depends on the application and printer driver.

Many modern drivers allow you to choose different paper (Size and/or Type) for header and/or trailer pages from that required for the main body of the document.

This gives a small,but limited, degeee of control.

Some applications provide additional control; for example:

• PDF documents (handled by Acrobat, or similar) can have different page sizes asociated with different pages, and I think that there is an option (named something like "use document media sizes") to indicate that the individual sizes should be taken into account when printing.

• Word documents can be split into sections, and each section can (I believe) have an associated paper size and/or orientation.

HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue with a HP Officejet Pro 8600 N911n printer on Mac and Windows.  I've changed every setting I found to either be automatic, use PDF size to indicate paper size.  I have letter in tray 1 and legal in tray 2 and it always prints to tray 1.  I have to know this as my job requires me to print mixed size documents frequently and I chose this printer because of its dual tray features.  

Any help would be appreciated

HP Recommended

Your printer is an Enterprise/Business model. I would recommend posting this in the HP Enterprise Support Forums for better coverage.

You can access the enterprise support forums at the following link.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

Ok that is cool.  Don't know how one would know the difference.  I have serched the forums there and no similar question.  But I wil ask it there...

HP Recommended

I am planning to get an HP printer with dual trays.  I am a notary public and often get documents that have both legal and letter in the same package.  I have been told that it is not possible to use the dual tray with a Mac.  I was hoping some softwear has been invented to help in this matter.  Do you have any suggestions?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.