Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet 3020 UDP
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hey guys, my problem is that I get the following error:

PCL XL error

Subsystem: IMAGE

Error: ExtraData

Operator: ReadImage

Position: 15932

whenever I try to print a document with more than 3 pages, the third or fouth page prints the error. I have no problem with printing text, only images.

I tried updating the firmware, the driver, tinkering with the options (like disabling the extra options for the printer) but nothing seems to work. I searched on this forum for help but nothing worked so this is a last resort kind of post 😕

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Try changing to the postscript driver or using the pcl5 driver.  Error only occurs with pcl6.

HP Recommended

Okay, so I tried to reset the printer to default settings, completely erase any sign of the printer and adding it again to the computer but it doesn't seem to work.

Also tried to change the driver to PLC5 but then the printer does nothing (or maybe I did something wrong).

An information I feel like is importan tho: I printed the config report and it seems that from the 32 MB's of otal memory, there is only 5.91 MB's aviable, which is not even enough to store the test page (which is 6 MB's). I'm pretty sure it might be the problem but not quite sure, any ideas how to fix it?

HP Recommended

By removing the printer we are not back to square one where we now need further information.  How is the printer connected to the computer.  This is an old printer which I think had maybe parallel and usb but no network.  If usb does the computere see the printer when you plug in the usb cable.  In other words if you plug the printer into a different usb port on the computer does the new hardware found message come up?  If using parallel or parallel to usb where usb goes to the computer please let us know.  Do not worry about memory as right now it has nothing to do with your issue.  Processing is done at the computer before being sent to the printer so the amount of memory at the printer will not effect your issue yet.

HP Recommended

It connects with a "Type B" (at least I think it's called that) USB on the printer end and with normal USB on the pc end. It does nothing extraordinary when plugging to a different USB port.

HP Recommended

First you need to remove any and all instances of the printer in devices and printers.  Now turn the computer off, disconnect the printer from the computer and turn the computer back on.  Now connect the usb cable from the printer to a different port on the computer.  The computer should say found new hardware and attempt to find and load the software for the printer.  Does it do that?  If it does not, then the issue is a communication issue between the printer and computer and maybe you need to try another cable or a different interface. If it says found new hardware, let it load all the way and then change the driver to pcl5 or postscript. If it says it can not find the driver, then say you have software and point to where you downloaded the drivers.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.