Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

My laser jet is about 2 years old and had been working great until a day ago.  Then the power would go off.  I did all the steps, unplug, plug back in back and wall, push on button, it doesn't power up.  I've done this in several wall outlets that work with other electrical items.  I cannot believe this printer is "dead" already, being that it is so young.  I had my last HP for 10+ years, no problems like this.  I checked online and the warranty, of course, is expired.  Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The power supply is an internal component of the printer, typically what the power cord plugs into directly.  Here's a link that shows what your power supply looks like:

https://xtrade.kz/index.php/en/products/zip/plate/power-supply-rm3-7382

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Try leaving it unplugged for an hour to see if the power supply will reset. If not, then I'd replace the power supply.

HP Recommended

Hi, thank you for your reply.  Can you explain to me what you mean by "replace the power supply"?  Is the power supply the outlet?   A part in my printer?  Anyway,  I am not sure how to replace the power supply.  Again, thank you.

HP Recommended

The power supply is an internal component of the printer, typically what the power cord plugs into directly.  Here's a link that shows what your power supply looks like:

https://xtrade.kz/index.php/en/products/zip/plate/power-supply-rm3-7382

HP Recommended

Hi, ALS-77,

Thank you for your replies.   Now I know what the part called the power supply is.  I had previously unplugged, let it sit even a da or so, plugged in and used different outlets several times and no luck.  Ok, so I tried this again, and bingo it turned on.  Now, I am afraid to even touch the power cord for fear it could misbehave again and won't come on.  I am just wondering if there is some kind of "short" in the power supply part.  So all is well for the time being.  Also, I had called several HP repair shops, some the number no longer working, another said they didn't fix this printer series 200.  Anyway, I was on the verge of just getting rid of it.  I am glad I did it.  I have had HP printers for 30 years, and most of them last 10 years or so.  They have been work horses.  I sure hope this one, which I bought new, serves me as well.  Again, thank you so much for your help!

HP Recommended

Glad to hear you got it working again. Hard to say what was the problem without looking at it myself. Could be a flaky power cord. Good luck!

HP Recommended

Hi, ALS-77, I wish I could report good news, but I went in this afternoon and the printer was off. It won't turn on.  Back to where I was.  I just don't get it.  I did change power cords.  But I think I may purchase a brand-new one and try it.  Do you do repairs on these printers?   If not, do you know a good repair/service dealer in the Charlotte, NC, area?

Thank you!!

HP Recommended

Argh! That's disappointing. It really seems to be pointing to the power supply as the problem at this point. As for a power cord, you might try a local repair shop to see if they have extras that they might be willing to give you one. I have many myself and recycle many more. Yes, I work on these printers every day for the last 38 years, including the first lasers that came out. Unfortunately I'm not in your area to be able to help. It's likely we have a sister company in your area, but I'd have to check into that. You could probably replace the power supply yourself and save a good amount of money. I've sent you a private message with a link to a repair manual for your printer I found. It might help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.