Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
hp color laserjet pro mfp m477fdw
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

We have a hp color laserjet pro mfp m477fdw and recently it has started to print splotches down the left side of the paper.  It looks like it's partial copy of the 1st spot at the top (if there's something printed in that area).   Why is this happening and how do I fix it?? HP Printing Problem 3-30-18.jpg

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Looking at the attached document i would say that the problem is on the fuser unit.It could be that the roller is contaminated with toner burnt onto it or that the roller is damaged.Inspect the fuser rollers and if dirty just clean them.Be careful this part is hot.Hope this will help.

I am A certified Copier Technician.
It is so nice to give some help where possible and the forum is a great idea Thank You.Sometimes a picture speaks louder than words to find a solution.Should you find my help use full just give some credit for my effort please.
.Thank You.Copier-Pro
If you found this post helpful, you can let others know and also show your appreciation by clicking the “Accept as Solution”button, “Thumbs up" button!

#################################################################
I'M NOT AN HP EMPLOYEE AND DO ANSWER THESE QUESTION ON MY OWN BEHALF.
HP Recommended

I can't get to the fuser on this machine...   They don't make it easy to get into this stupid machine at all, and the manual doesn't even tell you what you are looking for.  

HP Recommended

I will try and explain.I haven't done work on one of these models before but sure this will help.Normally there is a door on the back of the printer that can be opened to remove jams.Use a flash light and try and inspect the fuser unit that way.Normally it is not easy to clean the rollers in that position but might just give you an idea of the problem.Hope this will help.

It is so nice to give some help where possible and the forum is a great idea Thank You.Sometimes a picture speaks louder than words to find a solution.Should you find my help use full just give some credit for my effort please.
.Thank You.Copier-Pro
If you found this post helpful, you can let others know and also show your appreciation by clicking the “Accept as Solution”button, “Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Clean the rollers with what?  How do we rotate the rollers?  What is another option.  We didn't buy this to repair it.  I would like help from an actual HP person on this.

HP Recommended

Hi I would like to assist to the best of my ability to solve your problem.I hope the information i supply will be of help.

I did check the manual and some covers needs to be removed to access the fuser unit.Alternatively you should take the machine to a repair centre to assist you.Hope this helps.

.Thank You.Copier-Pro

HP Recommended

hp genuine Cartridge?

HP Recommended

Scan 2.jpeg

HP Recommended

The Copier-Pro guy is correct. It looks like a problem with the fuser. Either the fuser is worn in that section and keeps a latent image of toner in that area as it prints, or it has a contaminate, like a piece of label, stuck on the fuser roller. Cleaning the fuser for a contaminant is near impossible on that model and can cause more damage, fuser replacement is best. If it's worn out in that area, the fuser will need to be replaced.

The fuser replacement is quite involved, so it would be best to have a trained tech do it. I am an HP Certified tech, as well as certifed by many other manufacturers too (i.e. Xerox, Lexmark, Printronix, etc...) for over 35 years if that helps.

HP Recommended

My printer is doing this too.  Were you able to find a solution?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.