Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet 1536dnf MFP
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I post this after I did the search here. It seems to be a common issue. I recently on 12/24/2019 uninstalled and reinstalled the printer driver. But it is still not working. When tried to open printer property, "hpmsn101.dll stop working" window popped up again. Please help. Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @Grefighter

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the "hpmsn101.dll stop working" error. 

Download and install HP Print and Scan Doctor, it is a Windows tool to fix printer issues. 

If the issue still persists, try re-installing the printer driver -

1. In the search box, type and open "Uninstall a Program".

2. Look for HP Printer software.

3. Right-click to uninstall.

4. In the search box, type and open “Devices and printers”.

5. In the Devices and Printers, look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose “Delete” or “Remove Device”.

6. Open the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. 

7. Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”).

8. Click on the "Drivers" tab.

9. Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click “Remove” at the bottom.

10. Select Ok.

11. Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows.

12. Close Devices and Printers Once the software and drivers are removed.

13. Restart the computer.

14. Download and install the software and drivers from here for Windows 7 (64-bit).

15. Click on the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.  

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response, Asmita.

As I mentioned in my post, I already uninstall and reinstall the driver.  My original problem was I can't do the double side printing  due to printer properties window can't open. At first it was a flash. After I partially uninstalled the driver, "hpmsn101.dll stop working" window popped up. And I had other issues like scan icon disappear, reinstall can't complete. So I posted my issue in the community and follow the other HP employee's suggestion to completely uninstall and reinstall the driver. But after reinstall, "hpmsn101.dll stop working" still not solved. 

HP Recommended

@Grefighter

Please check if this works - 

Go to device and printers then right click on the printer icon and select printer properties. Select device setting button and disable to printer status notification.

hpmsn101.jpg

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

image.png

Tried, does not work. Window as show left pops up then disappears.

HP Recommended

@Grefighter

Do you have an anti-virus software installed? 

Try adding the printer using IP address - 

1) Print a Network Configuration Report from the Printer Settings or Wireless menu.
2) Right-click your printer, select Printer Properties, click the Ports tab and then click Add Port.
3) Select Standard TCP/IP Port, and then click New Port.
4) Follow the instructions to add a new port using the information listed on the Network Configuration Report.
5) Try printing.

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Your above solution number 2: 2) Right-click your printer, select Printer Properties, click the Ports tab and then click Add Port.

is same as

previous solution "Go to device and printers then right click on the printer icon and select printer properties."

right?

As I responded, this is my issue. I tried to do double printing, the setting for double printing is through "printer properties"  and this "printer properties" window does not open due to "hpmsn101.dll stop working".  Thanks.

HP Recommended

@Grefighter

Is there an anti-virus software installed? 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes, I have anti-virus software installed. I just disabled it and the same "Window Explorer has stopped working" window popped up. Thanks.

HP Recommended

@Grefighter

Try Microsoft fixit

If the issue still persists, try creating a new user account and install the printer driver on it -

1. Tap the Windows icon.
2. Select Settings.
3. Tap Accounts.
4. Select Family & other users.
5. Tap "Add someone else to this PC."
6. Select "I don't have this person's sign-in information."
7. Select "Add a user without a Microsoft account."
8. Enter a username, type the account's password twice, enter a clue and select Next.
9. Tap the Windows icon.
10. Select the User icon at the upper left corner of the Start menu.
11. Select the new user. You'll then sign into your account with your password from step 8.

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.