Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Photosmart C4680

I just installed two new ink cartridges for my laser all-in-one and immediately get a message saying "Print Cartridge Problem" with an exclamation point(!) over both the little pictures of the cartridges on the printer screen.  I've removed them and re-installed them several times but continue to get the same message.  I ordered these directly from HP so I don't understand what the problem is.  Can anyone help?  Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@dolfngirls3,

A warm welcome to Hp support. Great description of the issue. kudos to you for that. I will be happy to assist you.

Did you install the old ink cartridges back and check if the problem goes away?

Let's try these steps:

It looks like one of the ink cartridges is faulty.

Now check if the issue gets resolved. if it continues then perform all the prescribed steps from this link: https://support.hp.com/ie-en/product/hp-photosmart-c4600-all-in-one-printer-series/3739148/model/373... (A 'Cartridge Problem,' 'Cartridge Failed,' or 'Incompatible Cartridge' Error Message Displays on the Computer)

This should fix the issue as long as the printer has no hardware issues. Otherwise, it needs to be replaced.

Good luck and keep me posted about the developments. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue and give the post a Kudos for my efforts to help. Thank you and have a great week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks David vey much for your reply and things to try.  To date, you are the only person to reply.  It's late here (for me) so I'll give your suggestions a try when I have some free time (probably Wednesday).  I'll let you know how it comes out.  Keep your fingers crossed.  I hope it isn't the cartridges...returning them is such a hassle for me.  Again, thank you for your kind welcome and the suggestions.  Have a wonderful day/evening.  Regards/C

HP Recommended

@dolfngirls3

Thanks for replying. Try those steps at your convenience.

Keep us posted. 

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This didn't work:>(.  I did the hard reboot of the printer and followed all instructions but the only thing that made the message go away was to reinstall the old cartridges which are empty.  Can't believe I spent all that money and the new ones are worthless.  I'm afraid to order from HP again.  Any suggestions?  I'm disabled which is why I shop online.  However I thank you very much for your attemp to help me.  Many thanks and kind regards/C

HP Recommended

@dolfngirls3

Thanks for getting back to us. Appreciate you trying the troubleshooting steps.  I have sent you a Private Message with the details about the next course of action.

Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it. Click here for more details on how to access the private messages on HP Forums.

To help the community find this post, click here to access our public post and Select - "Accept as solution", have a good day.

Have a great day!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.