Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laser Jet 5100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Laserjet 5100 printer -- it is old, but works great, and serves my needs perfectly. I just bought a new computer running Windows 10. I tried downloading the HP Universal Printing PCL 6 (v.6.7.0) universal driver, but cannot print. This was my solution for my previous Windows 10 computer. Is it still possible to use this printer? HP has no comparable printer these days.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

We have never had success with those parallel /USB adapters, too finicky. Your best option is to get a parallel to network adapter that plugs into the printer and turns it into a network printer or buy a used HP JetDirect card off EBay. Network attaching is the easiest, most reliable way to attach an older printer to modern computers.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

how are you connecting? Network? USB? Networked you should be able to use a newer driver with no problem. 

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

My printer has an IEEE 1284 Cable, which connects to an adapter to plug into my computer's USB port.

HP Recommended

you could try downloading the HP scan & print doctor app or perhaps try the administrators resource driver kit from the hp support site.  It might have something that will allow you get that printer installed.  it'll be on the same page you got the driver from, listed toward the bottom. 

HP Recommended

Have you tried using a different USB port on the computer? Some older model office equipment will not run on a USB 3.0 port. Usually easy to identify by a blue plastic ring inside the port.

I am not a HP employee. I am a service tech on these forums researching topics and offering my best guess to aide in your troubleshooting.
HP Recommended

I thought of that, and switched from a USB 3.0 port to a USB 2.0 one -- still not communicating. In t he device manager, should the printer port be set to LPT1?

HP Recommended

We have never had success with those parallel /USB adapters, too finicky. Your best option is to get a parallel to network adapter that plugs into the printer and turns it into a network printer or buy a used HP JetDirect card off EBay. Network attaching is the easiest, most reliable way to attach an older printer to modern computers.

HP Recommended

That sounds promising -- the only problem is that my computer and printer are a long way from my router (basement to 3rd floor); I have one CAT5 cable currently serving my computer, and it would be very difficult to run another. I could use that for the printer, and go wireless on my computer, but i have found that the wifi connection means slower internet and problems sending emails with attachments. A slow printer connection would be less of a problem -- is there any parallel port/wireless adapter available?

HP Recommended

If you have a cat 5 cable there, buy a 5 port network switch from Staples or Best buy or whoever. Plug the cat 5 into the switch and then connect the printer and computer to the switch. 

HP Recommended

I'll give that a try.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.