Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
M118dw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My printer has a fixed IP address on a 192.168.1.x network. I need to connect it to a new 192.168.0.x network. I cannot change the IP address, because I cannot connect to it on its old IP address, and the 'HP Smart' app does not allow access to change network settings when connected via USB. 

Is there any way to either (a) change the network settings without needing the web browser utility, or (b) do a factory reset - again without needing to connect via the browser?

Thanks,

Dan.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@DanialClarke,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you restore the factory defaults on the printer and then connect the printer to your new network.

Here is how it is done.

a. Print a configurDtion page to determine the IP address or host name.

i. Press and hold the Resume button until the Ready light begins blinking.

ii. Release the Resume button.

b. Open a web browser, and in the address line, type the IP address or host name exactly as it displays on the printer configurDtion page. Press the Enter key on the computer keyboard. The EWS opens.

NOTE: If the displays a message indicating that accessing the website might not be safe, select the option to continue to the website. Accessing this website will not harm the computer.

2. On the System tab, click Save and Restore in the left navigation pane.

3. In the Restore Defaults area, click the Restore defaults button. The printer automatically restarts

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for your reply; however this will not work. As I explained in my original post, the printer has a 192.168.1.x fixed IP address (actually 192.168.1.251), but is now connnected to a 192.168.0 network. If I try to browse to 192.168.1.251 from any machine on the network it won't connect, because the IP address is not on the same network.

What I needed was a way of resetting to factory default _without_ connecting via a browser. I assumed there would be some sort of button combination that would do this.

I say 'needed' because I have managed to resolve this. In order to do that I had to:

- Reconfigure my wifi router with the same SSID but with a 192.168.1.x network.

- Connect the printer to that router

- Connect a PC to that router

- Browse to the printer web interface

- Change to DHCP

- Reconfigure the router back to the correct 192.168.0.x network

- Reconnect the printer. 

DHCP then assigned the printer a new IP address, in the correct range.

All in all this took the best part of an afternoon to fix. If there was a hardware reset option it would have been much quicker!

I no longer need an answer to this question, but if someone can answer if there's a hardware reset for this printer it might be useful to anyone else who encounters this problem.

Thanks,

Dan.

HP Recommended

@DanialClarke,

It is great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

Perfect, I am really glad to hear that the issue is resolved.

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

So my printer expects to connect to a gateway I no longer have, so it’s impossible for it to connect to the home network

i have no idea what the admin password is

so how do I factory reset this useless hunk of plastic?

HP Recommended

Answer: use the WPS button

had to do this dance between printer and router and printer 3 times before it worked and the WiFi icon went solid

yay

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.