Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro M28w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi!

I would like to set toner consumption to the lowest level possible on my new HP LaserJet Pro M28w

Using windows 10 x64 + wifi connection through router (if that means anything in the given context)

The only relevant setting I cam across is "density" is system settings tab (printer "admin page" that you can see navigating to it's IP in your web browser)

I see values from 1 to 5. Whatever I choose I still see very dark\dense printing and as a result my cartridge won't likely live long with that

Am I doing anything wrong?

Any other settings one can try?

Can I somehow get working density setting in Windows 10 probably? (In user manual I found quality\density settings

description for OSx only)

Any relevant comments are welcome

Thanks in advance for your time and energy

UPD: The setting I'm mentioning can be found in User Manual

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05847830

p 77 "Adjust Print Density"

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@AlexPodd,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support community!

Let's try these steps:

Step 1: Use genuine HP toner cartridges

Step 2: Check the EconoMode settings

• In the program, you are trying to print from, select the Print option.

• Right-click your printer, and then depending on the software program, the button might be Properties, Options, Printer Setup, Printer, or Preferences.

• Click the Paper/Quality tab, and then locate the Print Quality area.

• Try to change the dpi settings.

• If the entire page is too dark, use these settings:

• Select the 600 dpi option.

• Select the EconoMode check box to enable it.

• Click OK, and then click OK to print the job.

If changing the EonoMode settings did not resolve the issue, continue to the next step.

Step 3: Check print settings

• In the software application, you are trying to print from, click File, and then click Print.

The Print window opens.

• Open the Properties dialog box.

Depending on the software application, the button might be Properties, Options, Printer Setup, Printer, or Preferences.

• Depending on your print job, you might consider modifying the following settings:

• Paper Type: If you are printing on photo paper, select the type of photo paper you are attempting to print on.

• Print Quality: If you are dissatisfied with the quality of your printouts, increase the print quality. To print more quickly, decrease print quality. These options typically include Best, Normal, and Draft modes.

• Paper Size: If you are printing on a different size of paper than you normally print on, select the correct paper size.

• Black and White: If you want to print in black and white only, select the grayscale option.

• After selecting the print settings, click OK to apply the settings, and then click Print.

• If the issue persists, proceed to the next step

Step 4: Print a cleaning page

• Open Devices and Printers, and then print a cleaning page in Windows.

• Turn on the printer.

• Load plain, white paper in the input tray.

• Search Windows for devices, and then click Devices and Printers in the list of results.

• Right-click your printer, and then click Printing Preferences or Properties.

The printer Properties dialog box opens.

• Click the Device Settings tab, and then click Cleaning Page.

The Cleaning Page Prints.

• Try to print again

Let me know if this helps. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “KudosThumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping.

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi!

Unfortunately my long and nice reply was marked sa spam by whatever system or a human moderator you guys have there

In short:

1) I'm using the original cartridge preinstalled in my new printer. I didn't refill\replace it

2 - 4) I don't have such settings\ features. Neither "Clean page" nor "Quality settings"

word_printing_setting_advanced.png

Neither do I have such settings in "HP Smart"

hpsmart_printing_setting_unavailable.png

Only here (as per the mentioned User Manual, in EWS)

ews_density_setting.png

But it doesn't work. No difference between pages printed with "1 (light)" and 5 (dark)

HP Recommended

@AlexPodd,

Some settings are not available on the HP Smart App for this printer model.

Check the Smart App compatible printer list and supported features from this link.

Let's try installing the full feature driver on the PC, that should give us the additional settings to change dpi, quality settings, etc.

Use this link to download the latest drivers for your printer.

Once the download is complete, open the file, follow the on-screen instructions and complete the setup.

Then, try to change the settings as suggested in the previous post.

Let me know if this helps.

Cheers!

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi!

I did this before and I've just repeated the process again

full_featured_driver.PNG

Still same results

Any more workarounds?

Any ideas why printing density setting from EWS does not work? It's described in the manual, it's not a part of OS\drivers. It's HP's own firmware and it produces zero effect. Does it feel like smth is broken?

Alex

HP Recommended

@AlexPodd,

I think the changes that you are making are not getting applied to the printer.

Let's try to update the printer firmware.

• Use this link to update the printer firmware.
  • After the update, restart the printer & PC.
  • Try to adjust the density settings again and try to print.

Let me know what happens.

Cheers!

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.