Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Laser Jet Pro M15w
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I set up my new Laser Jet M15w to my boyfriend's hotspot  using my phone and successfully printed from my phone (so I know using a hotspot works), but now knowing how impossible it is to switch networks I'm beyond frustrated. I've deleted the app from my phone, but can't seem to delete the network. Wondering if the issue is that my phone (iphone 7 Plus) and printer were set up using one network, now I'm trying to set it up with my laptop and a different network. Any thoughts? How do I switch devices and networks...and is this even the issue? Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @MaryAnnaD,

I read your post and I understand you would like to change the network on your printer.

I'd like to help, read the steps below to connect the printer to another network-

Connect the printer with WPS

Use WPS to connect the printer to your wireless network.

1. Locate the WPS button on your router, but do not press it yet.

If your router does not support WPS, skip to the next step to connect the printer with the HP Smart app.

2. Turn on the printer. If the printer is in sleep mode, press the Cancel button on the control panel.

3. On the printer control panel, press and hold the Wireless button  for at least 3 seconds or until the wireless light starts to flash.

NOTE: 

HP Tango printers: Press and hold the Wireless and Power buttons on the back of the printer for 5 seconds. The Edge lighting flashes blue to indicate the printer is in WPS mode.

4. On the router, press and hold the WPS button for 3 to 5 seconds or until it shows that the WPS connection process has started.

NOTE: 

The printer stops searching for a WPS connection two minutes after the wireless button is pressed. If you were unable to press the WPS button within that timeframe, attempt these steps again.

Once the printer connects to the wireless network, the blue Wireless light on the control panel turns on solid. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Yes, true I want to reset the network but I've already done all this - and it didn't solve the problem. Anything else I can try? Thanks. Brand new printer and I can't use it! Any other ideas are appreciated 

HP Recommended

We can try a complete reset on the printer, so you set it up on the new network.

• The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may corrupt the device.
  • I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer.
  • In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

The other issue is that even when I decided to print directly frpm USB, the installation said complete but the message when trying to print is 'unable to locate printer'

HP Recommended

@MaryAnnaD

If you are using a USB cable, make sure the cable is directly connected between the MAC and the printer.

The use of a USB hub is not recommended. Also, make sure the cable is connected to a USB 2.0 port on your MAC.

Do you have an Anti-virus/firewall installed on the MAC?

• Check if the printer is getting recognized by your MAC:
  1. From the Apple menu, choose About This Mac.
  2. Click System Report.
  3. Under the Hardware heading on the left side of the System Information window, click USB.

USB 3 devices appear under USB 3.0 Bus, and USB 2 devices appear under USB 2.0 Bus. The printer should be under the USB 2.0 Bus

Let me know how this goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

There actually is no USB, I have to use a dongle. Is this a problem?

This printer has been so frustrating and pointless since I can't even use it...    😕

HP Recommended

@MaryAnnaD

In your previous post, you have mentioned that you tried printing directly from USB. I think this issue needs some additional technical assistance that can be better provided through one-on-one interaction or a remote session with our HP Support team.

Please reach out to the HP Support in your region for further assistance.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.