Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Laserjet Pro MFP M28w printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

With my HP Laserjet Pro MFP M28w printer, bought in June 2018, the toner consumption is very high right from the start. In the meantime I changed the toner 3 times, each time after printing only about 300 pages. According to HP, it should be enough for at least 800 pages.

Important: I only print text pages, everything in black and white.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Alaska5

I have gone through your Post and I understand your concerns

I suggest you refer to this Link: https://www8.hp.com/h71041/learn-about-supplies/in/en/ink.html to help you understand how HP measures Page Yield

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response. I understand that the yield for HP black and white printers is determined using the ISO / IEC 19752 test method. It can vary greatly from the results I have achieved. In my case, however, I only achieve 37.5% of the yield determined using the test method. Therefore, I ask myself how I can change the determinants on the printer to optimize the toner consumption. Can you also give me a tip? Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

@Alaska5

Ensure you are not printing in Best Mode and print in Draft Mode and less ink will be used

You can refer to this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02227495

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the informations. I proceeded as described there. There is no "Advanced" button for me under the tabs shown (screenshot 3 - 5). However, there is a separate "Advanced" tab. However, I cannot change anything there (see screenshot 2).  Also under the heading "Adjust printer" I have not found a way to change the print quality.
Therefore, the question still arises where can I change the print quality of my printer?

Screenshot 1:

Alaska5_0-1580461977851.png

Screenshot 2:

Alaska5_1-1580461977872.png

Screenshot 3:

Alaska5_2-1580461977892.png

Screenshot 4:

Alaska5_3-1580461977909.png

Screenshot 5:

Alaska5_4-1580461977924.png

HP Recommended

@Alaska5

Please try these steps

Access the settings window in Devices and Printers to select settings that apply to all your print jobs.

1. Search Windows for 'printers', then click Devices and Printers in the search results.

2. Right-click the icon for your printer, then click Printer properties.

Figure : Right click your printer and select Printer properties

Right click your printer and select Printer properties
  3. Click the Advanced tab, then click Printing Defaults.

Figure : Click Printing Defaults on the Advanced tab in Printer Properties

Click Printing Defaults on the Advanced tab in Printer Properties
  4. Change any settings you want as defaults in the Printing Defaults window, then click OK.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi there,
I did everything like this (see screenshot 1 - 3). In the screenshot 4 you can see the standard settings. The print settings you can see are called "everyday printing - envelope - labels - etc. There I can only change the paper type, the double-sided printing and the pages per sheet. Not the printing resolution dpi and therefore the toner consumption. That is also the case on the other tabs (screenshot 5 - 7) Unfortunately, this procedure does not lead to the desired result.

Screenshot 1 - 3

Alaska5_0-1580559257547.png

Alaska5_1-1580559257573.png

Alaska5_2-1580559257602.png

Screenshot 4:

Alaska5_3-1580559257628.png

Screenshot 5 - 7

Alaska5_4-1580559257647.png

Alaska5_5-1580559257665.png

Alaska5_6-1580559257685.png

HP Recommended

@Alaska5

Thank you for posting back.

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.