Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Products:

• HP Officejet Pro 8600
  • Macbook Pro (Mac OS X, Version 10.7.5)
  • Macbook Air (OS X, Version 10.8.2)

Question:

• Why did my Macs initially print fine, but now will not print at all?

Full Story:

I have a wireless network at my house that consisted of a 30mb cable internet, Netgear 900n, HP Officejet Pro 8600, 2 Dell Laptops with Windows 7, a Lenovo Laptop with Windows 7, and Dell Tower with Windows 7 - All printed just fine.

The HP Officejet 8600 was added to my network about 2 months ago.  

I added a Macbook Pro and a Macbook Air about 3 weeks ago.  Both Macs printed just fine for about a week.  Then suddenly they stopped.  I spent about 2 hours on the phone with HP Service, and they finally said it must be my router.  So I called Netgear.  Netgear was useless!  They wanted me to agree to charges for services before they would even discuss the issue.  

Due to information provided by HP's service support, and because Netgear will not support their product, I promptly purchased a new router - an Apple Airport Extreme.

The Macs recognize the printer, will print if hardwired via a USB cable, but will not print wirelessly to the Officejet Pro 8600.  The PCs print fine.  

The frustration that is being felt is compound by the fact that the Macs printed just fine with the Officejet Pro 8600 2 weeks ago, and now the printer just shows "idle"... even with a new router. (see image below)

Please help, I appreciate any support.  

As a side note, the HP Service rep was very friendly, and definitely tried to support the HP Product, which is much more than I can say about Netgear.

Thank you,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

More likely the issue related with Multicast, which Apple devices relies on to communicate with teh device through the network.

First try unplugging the router for 30 seconds.

Plug it back to the power and wait for 2-3 minutes.

Turn the HP printer Off and back On, then check for any difference.

If the same persists, try changing your router configuration as following

Note: the settings below are not related with the HP product, I provide you the steps as a best effor and those are only based on my own knowledge. you may try modifying the router settings at your own risk:

1. Open the router configuration page (can be found listed as the Default Gateway by clicking the Wireless icon on the printer, then print a network configuration report.
  2. Click the Advanced tab.
  3. Click the Setup option from the menu, then click on WAN Setup.
  4. Make sure to uncheck the box next to Disable IGMP Proxying and Apply the changes.
  5. Click the LAN Setup on the same Setup menu.
  6. Set the RIP Version as RIP-2 and Apply the changes.
  7. Reboot your router and then check for any change.

I hope you may find that information useful, you may also use the user guide below for further information:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNDR4500/WNDR4500_UM_07DEC2011.pdf

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

More likely the issue related with Multicast, which Apple devices relies on to communicate with teh device through the network.

First try unplugging the router for 30 seconds.

Plug it back to the power and wait for 2-3 minutes.

Turn the HP printer Off and back On, then check for any difference.

If the same persists, try changing your router configuration as following

Note: the settings below are not related with the HP product, I provide you the steps as a best effor and those are only based on my own knowledge. you may try modifying the router settings at your own risk:

1. Open the router configuration page (can be found listed as the Default Gateway by clicking the Wireless icon on the printer, then print a network configuration report.
  2. Click the Advanced tab.
  3. Click the Setup option from the menu, then click on WAN Setup.
  4. Make sure to uncheck the box next to Disable IGMP Proxying and Apply the changes.
  5. Click the LAN Setup on the same Setup menu.
  6. Set the RIP Version as RIP-2 and Apply the changes.
  7. Reboot your router and then check for any change.

I hope you may find that information useful, you may also use the user guide below for further information:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNDR4500/WNDR4500_UM_07DEC2011.pdf

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

YOU ARE AWESOME!!! Thank you for providing support to someone else's product.  You have just earned a customer for life.

Thank you,

Bhartsaw

HP Recommended

Worked like a charm.  Save me a long phone call.  Thanks!!

HP Recommended

I am using MacBook Air (OS X yesomite 10.10). I tried all the steps. It worked for a while and again the same problem. Following are the current setting of the router. Let me know if i should change something:

1. Model - 450 TC1 ADSL2

2. In advance TAB I do not have any option named WAN Setup ( I have Routing, NAT, QoS, VLAN, ADSL, Firewall optopns)

3. In Interface TAB --> Internet options - Dynamic Route is set to RIP2-B : Direction - Both

3. In Interface TAB --> Internet options - Multicast is set to IGMPv3

4. In Interface TAB --> LAN options - Dynamic Route is set to RIP2-B : Direction - Both

5. In Interface TAB --> LAN options - Multicast is set to IGMPv3

Let me know if I am missing something or I need to do some different changes based on my router model.

HP Recommended

I have read everywhere about the exact same issue.  I could print all the printer reports wirelessly, but could not print mail or documents from my Macbook.  One minute I could print, then suddenly I couldn't, I had done nothing, I had not even got up from my chair.  I pulled my hair out for 5 hours doing everything in tech support to no avail, then I fixed the problem by myself by doing something that I did not read about anywhere.  Port 9100 was disabled, I enabled it.  I do not have the expertise to understand why it must be enabled, all I know is it had been disabled, by an update presumably to HP, or to the printer HP Officejet Pro 8600 which updates over the internet. The issue was not with apple software, it was the printer settings which need to be selected at the online page for your printer.  

Hopefully a support technician can explain this to me.  The funny thing is now my printer finds itself unable to connect to the internet, but I kind of like it that way.  Hope this helps, best of luck.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.