Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Omen 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

It's not clear to me that HP is aware that even previous 90 Watt power supplies won't function even as smart adapters (not charging the battery in other words but simply supplying power to the laptop).  This means that only the massive 'Brick' power supply that comes with the laptop can be used.  This is ridiculous and wasteful.  If you are not running games, the system should recognize earlier generation power supplies as adequate to function as smart adapters.  It's another example of HP not sweating the details.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

I did post few times about chargers.  Most of the times I use 3 types of chargers for some laptops

(a) Travel chargers: They are small, light low wattage,

(b) Normal chargers: for normal work. They will charge and supply power for laptops at the same time,

(c) High wattage chargers when laptops sit on REAL docking stations.

You can't use low wattage chargers to power hungry machines to do few jobs at the same times.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

You're kidding right?  You think that this cut and paste boilerplate answers the question?  This is stuff that a beginner knows.

Please go back and reread the question.  Additionally, it appears that you are grossly unfamiliar with the Omen 17.  Perhaps you should familiarize yourself before you respond  to the next technical question about it.

The issue is that previous 'full' power supplies, 120 watts in other words, and from HP and not third parties now won't even run as smart adapters - let alone charge the battery while the system is running.  

The system firmware has a paranoid approach to the 'vetting' of power supplies.  If you're not doing heavy-duty gaming I doubt that the system draws more than 30 W.  The notion that 120 Watt power supply therefore won't do anything in these low-power conditions can only be described as totally absurd, and frankly it's part of the evidence that once again HP has not sweated the details. Not only will that 120 Watt power supply not charge the battery, it won't even supply power in any fashion to the laptop, unless the laptop is powered down.  In other words it won't even function as a travel adapter.

Just in case you're wondering, I've built about six computer systems, have owned dozens and dozens of them, and I've never seen anything like this.  It's bizarre but then again it's HP.  The closest thing to it is Dell's proprietary refusal to accept anything but a Dell branded power supply,  even if it's the right wattage, voltage and connector.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.