cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
mojack411
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

BIOS Update is blocked on OMEN

HP Recommended
HP OMEN
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

So I might as well start from a while back.  Approximately 2 months back my computer started to heat up for really menial tasks.  Simply watching videos or even surfing the web would cause my computer to heat to the point where it's uncomfortable put on my lap.  Even when I closed every background task and program running the problem remained  This of course was not the case prior.  I already cleaned out the fan and vents with a pressurized air canister and did a torough sweep of malware and viruses with 3 separate programs but the problem still persisted.

Now recently I have been getting BSOD's at seemingly random times due to DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURES.  When I used BlueScreenView to identify the driver in qustion it listed ntosknrl.exe as the culprit.  After doing some searching around I found that the best way to solve such a driver problem is to go through each and every one of your drivers and update them where need be, in particular the BIOS.

Which brings us to where we are now.  I donloaded the latest BIOS from HP but when I went to update it I was greeted with the following: http://puu.sh/khjJu/2b4effe166.png

"The BIOS Update is blocked on this device"

Why is it blocked?  Isn't updating BIOS a rather important thing for computers?  I would greatly appreciate if someone could explain this to me.  And also, if you think this is all related to the heat issue I've been experiencing the past couple of months, please let me know as well.  This computer is less than a year old, so it really saddens me to see problems like this cropping up already.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
mojack411
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm sorry, what would be the correct screen?  The screenshot I posted shows the HP BIOS update Assistant with the option for Update greyed out.  Did you want the BSOD I got?  Or the BlueScreenViewer log?   If it's the log you want it's the following:

Dump File : 092015-5234-01.dmp
Crash Time : 9/20/2015 9:18:53 AM
Bug Check String : DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
Bug Check Code : 0x0000009f
Parameter 1 : 00000000`00000003
Parameter 2 : ffffe000`e6417670
Parameter 3 : ffffd000`20731cb0
Parameter 4 : ffffe000`e6423010
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+14f9a0
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+14f9a0
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\092015-5234-01.dmp
Processors Count : 8
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 9600
Dump File Size : 1,057,768
Dump File Time : 9/20/2015 9:20:00 AM

0 Kudos
mojack411
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yeah, I have been contemplating reinstalling Windows for a while.  I want to use it as a last resort, though, so am exploring as many options as possible before doing so.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation