cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
vPro97
Level 1
13 8 0 1
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Connecting the laptop to a charger results in random frame rate drops when playing games

HP Recommended
HP OMEN 15
Windows 8.1

Hello.

I was gifted a HP OMEN 15 laptop and I'm really loving it, but it has one really annoying issue.

Whenever I connect the laptop to a charger and play a game, I experience random frame rate drops. The frame rate drops last for 3-5 seconds whereafter the game runs smoothly again for 8-20 seconds. Then the lag occurs again and it keeps like that.

However, when running on battery the laptop performs really well and there is absolutely no lag at all.

I already made sure the laptop is using the NVIDIA GPU, that the performance profile is being used and that the laptop isn't overheating.

Please, can anybody help me?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
JJLuvzU
Level 4
Level 4
93 92 3 34
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

vPro, what is the game title you're playing?  Also, have you ran nVidia GeForce Experience application to obtain the latest updates & driver?

"Appreicate a Kudo if you like my post or find it useful."
0 Kudos
vPro97
Author
Level 1
13 8 0 1
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hello and thanks for your reply JJLuvzU.
The titles I'm playing are DOTA 2 and planetside 2. It occurs in both games.
I've updated to the latest GeForce driver and made sure I installed all the latest hp updates - including bios.
0 Kudos
JJLuvzU
Level 4
Level 4
93 92 3 34
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hmm, maybe it isn't the software....  My guesses are either the adapter or system board, any chance to get a new adapter from HP?  Any friend own a OMEN15 that you can compare with?  Sorry for my lame ideas.

"Appreicate a Kudo if you like my post or find it useful."
0 Kudos
vPro97
Author
Level 1
13 8 0 1
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I thought about that but then the issues started occurring on battery as well.
Downgraded my nvidia drivers and testing. Thanks for your help and for your suggestions.
0 Kudos
Auduno
6 5 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Seems like I have the exact same problem. There is no problem when on battery power only tho.

I have played both Assassins Creed Unity and Battlefield 4, both on medium graphic settings.

While playing Battlefield 4 the GPU rises upwards about 90 degrees celsius and starts to drop in framerate from a stable 50-60 down to 2-3! This starts to happen after about 2 minutes of gaming, than it is pretty persistant and random.

The air blowing out of the vents are not very warm, but det underside of the computer gets pretty warm. Not untouchable, but pretty uncomfortable.

I have also tried Battlefield on Nvidias optimized settings and on low settings, with the exact same results.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation