cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
unsuresophia
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Continuous problems with screen glitching and going black

HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Often when watching videos and sometimes when playing video games, my screen will glitch or go black. I've been having problems like these since I got the laptop in July 2016. I had posted earlier on the forums about the screen going black and it would buzz too.

I got a reply from a  HP Representative who said that it may be an issue with the graphics driver so I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers as they had adviced. This would fix the problem temporarily and permanently got rid of the buzzing, but the problem with the screen going black and now glitching still persists.

I have not dropped the laptop from a high place and there's no physical damages to it either, as I said I've only had it for a few months. Is there anything else I can do to fix this problem?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
A4Apollo
Retired
Retired
17,747 17,730 1,301 2,076
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey there! @unsuresophia, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand that the screen is glitching and going black on your laptop.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you try to check in BIOS if the same issue persists?

To Get into BIOS turn on your PC keeping tapping F10 key you will boot into BIOS.

Check if the screen has flickers or goes black in BIOS.

If the issue persists in BIOS it is a hardware issue, You have to contact HP to get the service options.

Link to contact HP.

If the issue does not occur in BIOS, First try performing a system restore.

Refer this document to know how to perform system restore.

If the issue still persists after performing system restore try performing a system recovery from F11.

Refer this document to know how to perform system recovery from F11.

Let me know if this works!

Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

unsuresophia
Author
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the response!

I checked if the issue persists in BIOS and thankfully it doesn't so I know it's not a hardware issue. I will attempt a system restore but I just have a question.

The steps required to perform a system restore involves going to 'Create a restore point' and I'm brought to this window:

1.png

I was just wondering if I should turn Protection On for DATA and RECOVERY, and what would happen if I kept it On or Off?

0 Kudos
Riddle_Decipher
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
31,166 31,117 2,612 3,966
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@unsuresophia

You've done a remarkable job performing the steps suggested earlier, great work 🙂 

And don't worry, as we should be able to fix this up with a few more steps and I'll be with you until we ensure this issue is fixed.

The "create a restore point" would mean that there aren't any restore points to restore from and hence leaving the Protection ON for data & recovery would help create a restore point in the near future during critical system setting updates or changes related to your OS.

For now, I'm afraid you'll need to resort to a system recovery after a full data backup as this would restore your computer to factory defaults.

Here's an article with the step by step guide: Click here

Let me know how that pans out,

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards, 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

unsuresophia
Author
4 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I performed a Windows System Reset using Recovery Manager as this page you linked me to said. This was around 1PM and it's now almost 4PM and the screen has gone black twice. I'm not sure what else I can do?

Will I have to follow the steps under the heading 'Factory reset using media you created'?

0 Kudos
Riddle_Decipher
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
31,166 31,117 2,612 3,966
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@unsuresophia

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

Yes, you are right - it looks like you are on that part of troubleshooting that requires a Factory reset using media you created and if you haven't created one, you may have to order one via HP using 2 options,

Either order it online using the official HP Website or order it via phone by contacting HP:

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation