cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
amajewski1983
Level 1
6 4 1 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

DPC Watchdog Violation and nvidia driver installation errors

HP Recommended
HP ENVY 17t-n100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm not entirely sure where to begin.  I received my new ENVY 17t-n100 this past Saturday and was really looking forward to using it, but it seems there is some MAJOR conflict going on between nvidia drivers that don't work, and Windows 10 being buggier then any other iteration of Windows I remember (and I remember up to 3.1 when I was 10).

The first problems I noticed is that the nvidia display driver would crash and restart......just to completely crash Windows to Blue Screen of Death.  I don't remember exactly what apps I had open, as this was after Windows was updating drivers and such (Windows 10 updated my PC with nvidia 354.35 driver.  I had installed a few programs (google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, STEAM client, Substance Painter 1.6 and MODO 902).  When I tried to load one of the packages (Susbtance Painter I believe, it immediately crashed my nvidia driver, and then shortly Windows is saying that it's trying to repair my system, only to say that it can't repair my system, so I attempt to reset to factory settings to only involve Windows getting obliterated to the point where I had to download Windows 10 from my old HP (a dv7 laptop from 2012), put it on a flash drive and install from there.

So, thinking that I at least had a clean installation of Windows 10, I proceeded to try and reinstall everything else, except the nvidia graphics driver kept crashing, and I've been testing what works and what doesn't.  It appears that none of my Computer Graphics applications will open and instead crash the driver and then by extention Windows giving me this DPC Watchdog Violation Error.  The three apps that I've tested so far are MODO 902, Substance Painter 1.6, and Marmoset Toolbag 2.  The same result for all of them. 

I've tried to go onto nvidia's website to download the newest drivers only to get Blue Screen of Death near the beginning of the installation process.  The only luck I've had is using a 3rd party software that completely removes the nvidia driver and runs the display based on the Intel Graphics adapter.  Oddly enough, I CAN open up the previously mentioned software packages with INtel HD Graphics.

As of this post, I have used the HP drivers to try and reinstall my nvidia graphics driver to 353.84 since that preceded the 354.35 update that Windows downloads to my machine.  I have also suspended Windows update from just randomly installing software that doesn't work.  UNfortunately, the 353.84 driver has not eliminated the probelms of the display driver crashing, and then crashing Windows with the DPC Watchdog violation.  ON the flip side, I no longer have my machine booting to a black screen, so at least Windows is able to reboot and recover so I can log in without having to go to safe mode to delete the nvidia driver just so the cycle can repeat.

I would be highly appreciative for any support on getting this thing fixed ASAP!

Regards,

Andy

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
TechSurge
Retired
Retired
947 891 41 166
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @amajewski1983,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! This is a great place to find solutions and help from our community!

I understand you're getting a DPC Watchdog Violation error on your HP ENVY 17t Notebook. I'd be happy to help.

This error can sometimes occur when the main drive needs to be updated. If you're unsure of how to update the main drive, take a look at this Youtube video tutorial: How to Fix BSOD Dpc Watchdog Violation Error.

I would also strongly suggest running the HP Support Assistant as well to get the lastest HP Updates.

The following are some helpful links for troubleshooting the HP Support Assistant or downloading the latest version:

HP Support Assistant

HP PCs - Using HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 8, 7)

HP PCs - Troubleshooting HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 😎

As well as, running the Windows Update Tool as it may find, and update any old or missing drivers that you need.

Should all of the above troubleshooting fail to resolve this error, trying recovering your BIOS.

To recover the BIOS, complete the following steps in this document:

Please note, before trying these steps make sure you have removed all none essential USB devices, and have the notebook plugged directly to a wall outlet.

1. Press the power button.

2. When the F12 key LED light is amber, press and hold the power button for five seconds until the LED turns off.

3. Press the power button again. The computer turns on for about fifteen seconds and then turns off.

4. Press the power button again. The computer turns on normally.

Let me know how everything goes, and if you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Please keep me posted. 

You can always say thanks by hitting the Thumbs Up button below!

Cheers.

TechSurge
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

0 Kudos
amajewski1983
Author
Level 1
6 4 1 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your recommendations.

I've tried to fix BSOD, but it's linked to my nvidia driver issue.  Even after I updated everything, following the youtube tutorial, and using both HP Assistant and Windows 10 Updater (both said that no updates were available), I ran DDU to uninstall the nvidia driver in the hope that the latest driver downloaded from nvidia's website (359.06) would install.  Alas, it crashed my PC back to DPC_Watchdog_Violation.

In any event, I spoke with Tech Support via HP Chat, and the representative offered to have the nearest HP center take a look at my laptop to rule out the error.

0 Kudos
goldflux
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Same thing happened to me while using Modo and Substance Designer on my HP Omen notebook.

Fix I found on Reddit is to ...

• Go to 'Manage 3D Settings' in the Nvidia Control Pangel
  • On the Program Settings tab add the Modo or the program having issues
  • Select Nvida as the prefered graphics card if it isn't already selected
  • Change the 'Power Management Mode' to 'Prefer Maximum Performance'
  • Click Apply to save your settings

This did the trick for me.

However, I did have to run the Nvidia Control Panel in adminstrator mode in order to even see the power management option.

Hope it works for you.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation