Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Retired
Message 1 of 2 (6,294 Views)

Did you Know? Disney Bought First HP Product

My friend Anne Finnie blogs over on HP's Next Bench. Recently she did a great post about HP's very 1st product. You can read the full thread here

Way back in 1939, an HP product was used to help construct the amazing audio in Fantasia. The unassuming -- if a little intimidating-looking -- metal box that you see here is the HP200A, an audio oscillator. That is, it generates one pure tone or frequency at a time. Through the years, HP oscillators were used to design, produce and maintain telephones, stereos, radios and other audio equipment.

disney.jpg

In 1938, when a sound engineer from the Walt Disney Studios saw the Model 200A audio oscillator in action, he asked Bill Hewlett to make some modifications to it. The Model 200B was born. Disney ordered eight of the Model 200B at $71.50 each.

Disney engineers used HP 200B oscillators to test the various channels, recording equipment and speaker systems in the 12 specially equipped theaters that showed Fantasia in 1940.

As for why they called the first unit the 200A: To make it seem like the company had been around for a while.

I worked for HP.
Honor Student
Message 2 of 2 (5,947 Views)

Re: Did you Know? Disney Bought First HP Product

That is AMAZING!  What a beginning!  I have to wonder how they got in the door to pitch it.  Great job on the film, regardless.  :)_

...in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work.

John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation