cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
maspahn
Level 1
4 2 0 2
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

HP Recommended
OMEN 15-5002nx
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

HP OMEN 15-5002nx, Laptop, Intel Core i7-4710HQ, Nvidia GeForce GTX 860M (4 GB), 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 15.6", Windows 8.1

Brand new OMEN 15-5002nx which is regularly producing the "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered"

Updated all items from the built in HP Support, but still receive the following popup.

Nvidia 347.52.jpg

Updated NVIDIA driver to 352.84, but this causes the Laptop to crash with both the "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" and the Blue Screen for what is a power issue.

Restore back to original factory provided configuration, but "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" returns.

If the built in HP Support is not detecting the problem and there are no solutions on your Forums for this issue.

BTW: This is the 1st laptop in my lifetime that had any issues brand new out of the box.

To purchase what is considered to be a premium product from hp and have this issue out of the box.... this needs to be resolved promptly by hp as I find it hard to believe that I am he only one having this problem.

5 REPLIES 5
erico
Level 17
Level 17
47,969 42,208 4,647 12,420
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I happen to have an HP Product loan Omen 15. I recommend that you install the NVIDIA driver 9.18.13.4752 version.It is available on the driver download page of the support portal at the following URL.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp70501-71000/sp70770.exe 

I have been using that video driver with my Steam games for months not without any issue. see the following image.

omen video drv.PNG

As a top contributor to the HP Consumer Support Forums, HP provides me access to the HP Omen 15 Gaming notebook at no charge so I may better respond to the questions raised on the Forum.

I am not an HP Employee.
0 Kudos
maspahn
Author
Level 1
4 2 0 2
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Update the Driver from the Device Manager as recommended, BUT still same problem:

Nvidia 9.18.13.4752.jpg

erico
Level 17
Level 17
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The image shows you have updated the driver, but does not show an error message. Can you provide that?

Had you considered running the system file checker from an elevated permissions command line prompt?

sfc2.PNG

sfc running.PNG

Hopefully the following image will be what you see when it is complete.

sfc complete.PNG

I am not an HP Employee.
0 Kudos
maspahn
Author
Level 1
4 2 0 2
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Error message displayed is the same as displayed at the beginning of this thread.

System File Checker produces same results same results as displayed here:

sfc_scannow results_2015-06-17.jpg

0 Kudos
erico
Level 17
Level 17
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You asked about this, so I will let you know that are the only owner I know of who has reported this problem.

There is another HP Expert who tested one and now has one as a product loan. He is also not having these issues. Issue with the Omen 15 are not very common.

You might have to consider trying a Windows Refresh. Be sure and backup any data that you don't want to lose.

I am not an HP Employee.
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation