cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
DeviantArtist Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

EliteBook Upgrade Advice?

8540w
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I really appreciate the value I get from refurbished HP notebook computers. My HP 8540w/M620 has been fantastic for years, but the limited screen resolution (1600x900) has always been an issue with gaming undocked, and now recently released games like Path of Exile are challenging the Quadro until it sounds like a hair dryer.

I tried the "Q" edition 8540w with the 1080 display, but it crashes ALL of the games I've installed on it!

I was wondering if anyone knew the EliteBook line well enough to suggest an upgrade path. Do I have to avoid the later "Q" models and stick with "M"?

I'm not looking for just "some gaming laptop", I want my 8540's versatility and reliability with a 1080 display.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Teacher Teacher
Teacher
55 52 3 15
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello DeviantArtist

Thank you for posting your query on HP Support Forum

You can go with the following Graphics Cards:

ATI FirePro M5800 graphics with 1 GB dedicated DDR3 video memory
Microsoft DirectX 11 (Shader Model 4.1) and OpenGL 3.2 capable
NVIDIA Quadro FX 880M graphics with 1 GB dedicated DDR3 video memory
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800M graphics with 1 GB dedicated GDDR5 video memory

If you want further information on what is the AC Adapter recommended for the Graphics Card and all other details you can click on the link given below:

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04141335.pdf

****Click the Kudos Button on left to say Thanks****
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,
K B T 86
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP

I am an HP employee
0 Kudos
DeviantArtist Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your response, but I'm looking to replace my laptop with a similar, gamer-friendly, workstation-class EliteBook. Would these graphics upgrades increase the max. resolution and address the performance issue?

0 Kudos
Teacher Teacher
Teacher
55 52 3 15
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello DeviantArtist

In that case please click on the below link. This PC is Gaming PC and you can play high end games on this PC.

http://store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/Laptops/omen-15-204076--1

You can also check the Z Book Mobile Workstation:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/workstations/zbook-15.html

****Click the Kudos Button on left to say Thanks****
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,
K B T 86
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP

I am an HP employee
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation