Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Omen 15-5000no
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

So my Omen is having the altogether too-common problem with storahci locking up the computer regularly. To be clear, it's a soft-freeze as the hardware mouse cursor and caps lock and several other things continue to be responsive, but for all intents and purposes Windows is locked up until the reset. The actual event is:

Warning: Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued. Source: storahci EventID: 129

If an IO operation was pending or in progress when the freeze happens, the event is follwed by:

Warning: The IO operation at logical block address 0x32bithex for Disk 0 (PDO name: \Device\00000036) was retried. Source: disk EventID: 153

No problems are detected in the latest Sandisk SSD Dashboard or UEFI hardware diagnostics.

I have tried all suggested fixes such as fiddling with AHCI Link Power Management HIPM/DIPM and so on, as well as System Refresh. Unfortunately a complete re-install is not feasible at this point in time. Is there a definitive fix for this problem? Googling doesn't provide clear answers.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

I have this same problem as well..

I haven't been able to find a solution anywhere and have tried multiple fixes.

I'm most likely just going to talk to HP Support about getting a replacement.

HP Recommended

I too have been having this issue, only with an EliteBook 850 G2, and SanDisk 256GB SSD.  The storage driver on the HP download page indicates it is for Intel, however my notebook seems to have a Marvell controller from the device hardware code, and so the Intel driver package will not install.  So Windows 8.1 is using the basic Standard SATA AHCI driver and the Microsoft Storage Spaces controller driver, and I get several 20-30 second freezes throughout the day.  Sometimes they happen back to back, just minutes apart.  Sometimes they go a couple of hours or longer between.  It will happen when I'm actively using the system, and it will happen overnight when I'm not doing anything on it.  I have Event Viewer always open with a filter looking for events 129 and 153, so I can see a history of when it happens.

I tried HP support but they were pretty useless; they just told me to run HDD diagnostics.  The drive is fine.  This issue is well-documented on many discussion boards and support forums.  Like you, none of the various suggestions have worked for me (power settings, timeout disable, the NoLPM registry setting, and on and on.  I've tried them all.

Some other strange items with this notebook (may or may not be related): when cold booting, sometimes the system will power itself right back off after the POST or even during the Windows 8.1 boot process.  Powering on again, it boots just fine.  Also after a cold or warm reboot, my USB mouse is not recognized (whether plugged into the dock or directly into the notebook).  I have to unplug and plug it back in again to get it to work.

I'm hoping that maybe the next BIOS upgrade will fix at least some of these issues, particularly the drive one.  Very frustrating, because this is otherwise a great system.

-----------

UPDATE (8/14/15): Just wanted to follow up with my "resolution" on this.  Never did get rid of the problem on Windows 8.1.  Tried Windows 10, happened with it as well.  Started over with Windows 7, and it's rock solid.  No freezes or event IDs 129 or 153.

Seems to be some kind of issue with the drivers in Windows 8 and 10.  Since my system only used the generic MS drivers for the controller, I had no way to update them. 

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

I hope for a fix as well. The solution can't be a downgrade to Windows 7 😕

But @BaronMunchausen - which drivers did you use? Officially there are no Win7 driver. Did you use the ones for 8.1?

HP Recommended
Oddly enough, on Windows 7 the MS driver works just fine. The controller is identified as a "Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller" though. And there is no Storage Spaces device identified. The SanDisk drive itself is detected the same.
HP Recommended

WEll if you do not install the Intel RST Package/drivers it will be a "Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller" in Win 8.1/10 as well. But Microsoft did change the drivers for SATA from Windows 7 to 8.

See: StorAHCI replaces MSAHCI

But even if - i think it is so sad that there is still not even a slight reaction from a HP representative here. And now we have i think 4-5 Threads with pretty much the same Problem. Other manufacturers fixed these kind of problems, but HP is ignoring it? Hello HP, are you out thereeeee?

HP Recommended

HP we need support on our 2k$ laptop, I'm already loosing more money from the freezes than the price I paid for the laptop!

HP Recommended
The interesting thing is that the Intel RST package won't install on my system. Wouldn't under 8.1, didn't under 7. This SanDisk drive seems to have its own non-Intel built-in controller that plays by its own rules. But I agree, this problem is all over the web, multiple users, multiple systems - and it's so easy to duplicate. I could reimage my system with 8.1 or 10 right now, and be able to see a lockup within the first couple of hours. Very strange that HP can't acknowledge and fix.
HP Recommended

Push for HP. Still not fixed.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.