cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
The-Force
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 14
Flag Post

Extra SSD in the New HP OMEN 17-w121nd?

HP Recommended
OMEN 17-w121nd

The new HP OMEN 17-w121nd contains a 512 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

Is it possible to ad an extra Sata3 SSD? Even maybe 2?

Can't find it in the specs.

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
90,523 90,400 11,624 24,917
Message 2 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

It is a new release. You can wait one more year after warranty and you can work on it. I believe HP will produce more information later.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

0 Kudos
The-Force
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wait one year?

When i buy the new Omen 17, i want to add a extra SSD immediately, not wait a year. Why should i do that?

0 Kudos
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
Message 4 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

You are asking for one model, there are many other models around and you can pick one of the following configurations:

Supports all 7 mm/9.5 mm, SATA 2.5" hard drives
HP 3D DriveGuardSingle hard drive configurations
1 TB (7200) 9.5 mm
2 TB (5400) 9.5 mm

PCIe NVMe TLC M.2 SSD

256 GB
512 GB

Hard drive +SSD configurations
1 TB (7200) 9.5 mm hard drive + 256 GB PCIe NVMe TLC M.2 SSD
1 TB (7200) 9.5 mm hard drive + 128 GB M.2 SATA-3 SSD (Value)
2 TB (5400) 9.5 mm hard drive + 128 GB M.2 SATA-3 SSD (Value)

The one you are looking at probably is the one with 512GB, but no pre-built option to add SSD. Therefore if you wish to do immediately, you can contact authorized service provider parts, they will add more hardware for you. If you wish to do yourself, waiting after one year warranty.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

0 Kudos
The-Force
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

In the dutch webshop is only the '512GB PCIe only' version available of the new Omen 17

Adding an extra SSD in the buy process is not an option.

Do i lose warrenty if i do it myself? That would be silly

0 Kudos
MartinDkkr
Level 1
5 5 0 1
Message 6 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Have you tried to open an HP laptop (or from any other brand for that matter) for upgrades lately? In the old days one could open the HDD compartment by removing one skrew, nowadays it's a hell. I ordered this particular model you are refering to in the Dutch webshop in the hopes of adding an extra SSD just like you want to, but decided to return it after finding out how to do that... 512Gb is simply not enough these days and there is a serious risk of demaging your machine while trying to open it. You have to literally tear it apart using brute force (serious!) after removing not only the obvious skrews, but also some very well hidden ones. Check youtube, there are several video demonstrations to discourage you. Maybe not from this exact model, but others with the same kind of casing. BTW it's a shame the Dutch HP Product Managers never seem to get it right when picking components for the standard models, which is all we can choose from here.

Cheers!

banhien
Level 19
Level 19
Message 7 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@MartinDkkr

That was my point and yes, if you read many manuals now, replacing/adding HDD's are NOT an easy task and those books ALSO imply no warranty, this work must be done by a dealer (or supplier parts).

Actually repacing/adding more storage (ii HDD/SSD) to an Omen HDD bay is easier than to other machines but the statement is the same and finding cable for this slot can be a nightmare.

Regards.

BH

Huffer
Level 17
Level 17
44,700 44,477 7,171 12,714
Message 8 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It's brute force perhaps for some and certainly working on laptops is not for everyone. The HP techs don't need to brute force it. If you would like to do it, post back and we can walk you through it but if you aren't a little concerned about opening it up you don't understand what you are getting into or you are comfortable working on electronics. 

0 Kudos
MartinDkkr
Level 1
5 5 0 1
Message 9 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Huffer wrote:

It's brute force perhaps for some and certainly working on laptops is not for everyone. 

Well, "brute"  may be a little exxagerated, but check this https://youtu.be/NzuFnIyK8a4 starting at 2:28. This guy even used a second laptop model to demonstrate opening the case because he is affraid of braking the plastic clips on the orriginal, since he has already opened the orrignal a few times before. Another one https://youtu.be/J3v98RbBYJQ starting at 3:05. This guy shows how to open the case and also the demage he caused already. Again, the video's show different models, but the principle is the same.

@Huffer wrote:

The HP techs don't need to brute force it.

I guess the above mentioned were no HP Techies, but I wonder what other ways the HP Techies have to open it up, to avoid having to use the force.

BTW I already managed to install the SSD using the info in the above videos, but your info may help the TS.

The disassembly of the HP Star Wars Special Edition Laptop for upgrading internal components such as hard drive, ram or wifi card.
A short video pointing out what screws need to be removed in order for you to install a SSD into the machine for a significant speed increase on the HP Star ...
0 Kudos
MartinDkkr
Level 1
5 5 0 1
Message 10 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I now see the w121nd is newly added to the available OMEN laptops and available in 3-4 weeks. It states it has a service compartment for memory modules, which at least means it's case differs from the one I returned and thought the TS was talking about.  Will have to wait and see if HP made this one better self serviceable with regards to the SSD as well.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation