cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
BinaryGreen
Level 1
9 5 0 1
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Games slow down even when charging gaming laptop

HP Recommended
HP Omen 17-w033dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After having some other issues with the laptop, I have found another problem:

When I load a game or start to play a game, the game drops in FPS or gets laggy, while plugged in and charging.

When I unplug the laptop, the game is laggy as well, but as soon as I replug the laptop back in, the game is smoother than ever.

Should I from now on, start my games unplugged, then plug the charger in?

It's almost some sort of recalibration the charging needs, and I realize most performance-hungry games can't run just on battery, but why do I need to unplug then replug my charger to make the game run smoothly again? 

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Sparkles1
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 715 1,914
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @BinaryGreen,

Thank you for your query. I grasp that if you start playing a game when you are connected to power the games lags. If you disconnect the power and run on battery it  is also laggy, but if you reconnect it to power the game will then run smoothly.

When I checked the specifications for your Omen, it has switchable graphics. OMEN by HP Laptop PC - 17-w033dx (ENERGY STAR) Product Specifications. I am not sure why when you disconnect the AC  and then reconnect the power it will then run smoothly.  I assume that when you first run the game while connected to AC that it is running off the Intel graphics.  When you disconnect the power and reconnect, it then switches and uses the high-performance card and  runs smoothly. Here are two links that I hope will help.

HP Notebook PCs - Overview of Switchable Graphics or Dual GPUs

HP Notebook PCs - Switchable Graphics on Notebooks Configured with Intel and ATI GPUs

You should be able to use the graphic software to configure your game to use the high-performance card. Please let me know the outcome. 

Thanks for participating in the HP Forums where we want to help you as well as others who may experience a similar issue as yourself. Please consider marking the post that resolves your issue as "Accept as Solution" to help other community members! To show appreciation for my efforts kindly click the “Thumbs Up” below.

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
BinaryGreen
Author
Level 1
9 5 0 1
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No, the games always use the dedicated Nvidia GPU when I start up and play a game. This is happening to every single game I play, regardless of how many things are in the game.

0 Kudos
Sparkles1
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 715 1,914
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @BinaryGreen,

With switchable graphics you may not see the change to using the high performance card. Did you try changing the settings in the software? Here is a link that may also help.  HP PCs - Computer Is Slow (Windows 10)

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
BinaryGreen
Author
Level 1
9 5 0 1
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I see the change. 

I start the game with the Nvidia GPU then maybe a few minutes later it either slows down for half a minute then speeds up OR it gets slow and it will stay that way (i'll have to unplug then replug my laptop's charger in).

I also recently installed a new GPU driver but it did nothing at all (except provide support for a few new games).

0 Kudos
Sparkles1
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 715 1,914
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @BinaryGreen,

Thank you for your reply. What are your power management options set at? Have you done all your Windows updates? Have you run the HP Support Assistant? Here is a link that may help. HP Notebook PCs - Green Screen and Other Video Playback Issues (Windows 8, 7). Please keep me updated.

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
BinaryGreen
Author
Level 1
9 5 0 1
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've set all power plans to high performance, plugged and plugged.

There is a BIOS update available that came out during one of these Summer months, my current BIOS is from May. When I get this a warranty, i'll ask them about how to update BIOS, too risky in my hands! 

The BIOS update might fix the performance issues, but according to the notes it said it would fix some keyboard issues (which I was actually having).

0 Kudos
Sparkles1
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 715 1,914
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HI @BinaryGreen,

Thank you for your response. Please contact HP Support for warranty options. They would also be able to assist you with the BIOS update. Contact HP Support  Fill out the online form and follow the prompts. Please let me know how it goes.

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation