cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
xxsadistic
2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

HP OMEN Framerate issues

HP Recommended
HP OMEN 17 w033dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey there I just got this laptop 2 days ago and Im very unhappy with the performance of it. When I brought it home I started it up and began updating everything I could. Windows 10 is fully up to date, I launched the HP Support Assistant and updated everything it told me to(which includes the NVIDIA driver). After everything was updated I attempted to play World of Warcraft using the optimal settings in the NVIDIA GeForce Experience program. Keep in mind the laptop is plugged in this entire time. While in game I experience a lot of framerate issues where it spikes from 60 or 70FPS to 30 and below. I have even tried putting all the graphic settings on low(which I shouldn't have to do) and still does it. Overall Im not happy with the performance and expected a lot more out of this laptop - I mean it is advertised as a GAMING laptop and was 1200 dollars.

Any kind of help would be great

Thanks,

-Dave

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Jungleweed
Level 1
9 8 0 0
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have a similar laptop, the HP Omen 17 W006TX, and I am experiencing the same issues in many games at demanding moments, such as Project Cars when a dozen or more vehicles are near me, or the underwater map in Rocket League where I will lag out for about 3 seconds every minute or two on the underwater map (but not other, less demanding maps).

This issue is something to do with the way the CPU, the i7 6700HQ, is throttling. I don't think it is the 960M GPU. It may not be temperature related either as the CPU is only around 78 degrees at most.

The only way I can reduce the problem is by using ThrottleStop to disable CPU Turbo, or by setting the number of available processors in windows to 4. This may or may not reduce overall performance, but it alleviates the sudden lag spikes and FPS drops for the most part.

It seems to me like a TDP issue that for whatever reason throttles the CPU far too much for far too long. I hope that HP listens to what I am saying, even though from what I've been reading it is an issue that is not limited to HP laptops.

At the very least, HP should add options into the BIOS to turn off or on the i7 turbo boost and limit the multiplier or hyperthreading and number of active cores. Games only need a couple of cores to function well, and that way you could allow them to operate at their maximum frequency and run into less TDP or thermal throttling issues.

0 Kudos
H0rBie
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I got the same issue with my new OMEN 17 w003ng. CPU gets random throttling in games. CPU for itself can be stress tested till end of time with stable temperature and frequency. As soon as the nvidia chip is also working, thermal throttling. Power cord is always connected. Checked temperatures with GPU-z, CPU-z, Intel Extreame Tuning Utility and so on. They all seem to be ok. I mean, 60-70° is not very hot for modern Hardware. I think this is a BIOS problem or driver problem. I will test this bevaviour with Linux this weekend, if that works, Microsoft might be the one to be blamed.

Hopefully someone from HP will answer to this and say the know about this issue. Seems to be common for HP notebooks.

I also admit that the settings available in BIOS are just poor, when this is declared as a gaming notebook. I'm really thinking of just returning it and going for Asus or MSI.

0 Kudos
kippOmen
Level 3
32 30 0 7
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Temporary solution is to fall back to F.05 Rev A bios. In the past week, members of this community have found this to fix the framerate issues. May I also ask, do you have a 120W power supply?

This personally worked for me and I have 17-w033dx with a nVidia 965.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation