cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
MikhailCompo
Level 2
24 18 0 1
Message 1 of 20
Flag Post

HP OMEN Pro 15 - Cannot Disable Boot Devices

HP Recommended

I have still not ascertained HP's stance on whether this laptop is a gaming laptop, as the branding and box seem to indicate, or whether it is a graphics workstation, and so an enterprise device. I dont think HP have fully decided to be honest and are sitting on the fence.

Either way, this has been purchased for out enterprise, and must adhere to our standard security policies.Therefore it is essential that we can disable the ability to boot from CD/DVD/USB devices, to prevent users booting to a non-standard environment (bringing in their own flash drive with a linux distro full of hacking tools for example).

The BIOS on the HP OMEN Pro 15 notebook does not allow to disable boot devices. The instructions on screen in the BIOS state "The boot capability will be disabled if the Device is marked with an exclaimation mark", however, it is not possible to acheive this, any/all key combinations (accounting for non-UK keyboards) simply generate a beep. The occurs with the previous BIOS and the latest version F. 32.

Can someone from HP please confirm if it is possible to disable boot devices on this model of laptop?

0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
iMaxx
Level 8
Level 8
579 567 29 240
Message 2 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

There are two Omens. The Omen, and the Omen Pro, which you have.

The Omen is for gaming and the Omen Pro is for enterprise environments such as yours.

That being said, I can fully understand your needs to disallow external device booting and have put in a change request to make this happen.

(There is no guarantee, however, that they will approve it, but I am pleading your case.)

I am an HP Employee
Quality Manager - HP VR / Z Desktops
-----
iMaxx” FORMER VOODOO PC / HP LEGACY GAMING SERVICE MANAGER
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
0 Kudos
MikhailCompo
Author
Level 2
24 18 0 1
Message 3 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the response that is helpful.

How can I submit a change request for this?

iMaxx
Level 8
Level 8
579 567 29 240
Message 4 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You won't need too, however, to help push this, call support and have them create a support case and tell them you want it escalated up to 3LS as that we are waiting for it. (Say you contacted us via the support forums.)

If they get that done, the case should come to my team and I'll grab it from there.

I am an HP Employee
-----
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
0 Kudos
MikhailCompo
Author
Level 2
24 18 0 1
Message 5 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry i misread your post, i had not realise you had submitted a change for this - Thanks for that.

As far as the follow up call is concerned, presumably we would need a support contract to log that? We do not have one direct as we use a third party for our hw support/RMA's.

Can i log this direct or will our support partner need to do that?

0 Kudos
MikhailCompo
Author
Level 2
24 18 0 1
Message 6 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry i misread your post, i had not realise you had submitted a change for this - Thanks for that.

As far as the follow up call is concerned, presumably we would need a support contract to log that? We do not have one direct as we use a third party for our hw support/RMA's.

Can i log this direct or must our support partner do that?

0 Kudos
iMaxx
Level 8
Level 8
579 567 29 240
Message 7 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This really isn't a 'support' thing as nothing is broken.

It's more of a 'feature request'.

You can call in yourself to make one and just use your Omen Pro as the unit to base the case on.

I want to say again there is no guarantee that they will approve this request.

(I also believe there are ways in teh OS to disallow external devices based on user profiles.)

But I'll give it my best shot. 🙂

I am an HP Employee
-----
0 Kudos
iMaxx
Level 8
Level 8
579 567 29 240
Message 8 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Update: I got word back from R&D and they are discussing this issue now.

Soryr for the delay!

I am an HP Employee
-----
0 Kudos
MikhailCompo
Author
Level 2
24 18 0 1
Message 9 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi iMaxx

Is there any update to this do you know?

0 Kudos
MikhailCompo
Author
Level 2
24 18 0 1
Message 10 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bump

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation