cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
AmirHaleem
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

HP Omen 15 5017 Screen goes blank after Windows 10 Update

HP Recommended
HP Omen 15 5017tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I went to the windows site and downloaded the free windows 10 update. After that, I can clearly see the login screen. I can type my password. When windows launches I can see the desktop for 2 seconds and then the screen goes blank.

I have a Nvidia GeForce GTX 860M card on board.

I can see the cursor. I can Alt, Clt, Del to get the task bar. I can even run chrome through the command prompt and see the browser. But there is no desktop.

I can't get access to Settings/System Recovery.

Please help.

PS I have gone to the HP site, downloaded and installed the recommended CMOS, Intel Graphics and Nvidia drivers. Nothing works.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
go2
Level 7
1,105 1,103 86 202
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

amir

command prompt type  msconfig for Save mode

Reboot

Uninstall the graphics drivers

reboot

please install the Frameworks

control Panel > Turn Windows Feature on net. 3.5 an 4.6

reboot

Install first the Chipset drivers for Windows 10

then the rest

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping!
AmirHaleem
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I did as recommended but nothing has changed. I still have the same issue. Everything works fine until I put in my password. The windows desktop shows for 2 seconds properly and then suddenly disappears. I then have to Alt, Ctrl and Del to get the task manager and use the run command to do whatever I have to. I can even run chrome and its visible but the background and desktop are blank.

I also noticed that when you ask me to unisntall the graphics drivers, the intel driver becomes generic on restart but nvidia 860M driver pops right back even though I am offline.

I have installed all the upgrades starting with the chipset. Nothing changes.

One question. If there are multiple entries for an item like "Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver" in the chipset section then I have only installed the latest one (Oct 25, sp72290 was installed and I did not install the older Sep 4, sp70768 package)

Also please keep in mind that I can't roll back to Windows 8.1 as I can get to the settings app and I don't have an external drive.

There is a recovery image in one of the partitions but I don't know how to activate it.

What's next?

Amir

0 Kudos
go2
Level 7
1,105 1,103 86 202
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

amir

Made the same use the device manager for uninstall and install don not reboot

before you start the uninstall process install the MS Patch did stop the reinstall for a moment

after reboot open the MS Store and Made the Update to Pro version

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation