cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Skyviewer
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

HP Omen Overheating and dropping max CPU freq.

HP Recommended
HP omen 17" w033dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When playing certain games the CPU will overheat reaching ~ 90 C and the max freq. of CPU will automatically drop to about 10 percent and then will jump back to 100%. 

I also tried to play while using laptop cooling pad and achieved same results.

with cooling pad: 2-3/per minute

w/o cooling pad: 4/per minute

i would buy another two cooling pads but I think the math does not work like that here.

This is what it looks like.

Performance

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Sparkles1
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 715 1,914
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Skyviewer,  

Welcome to the HP Forum! 🙂  I am pleased that you have become a HP Forum member. It is such a wonderful site to find answers and tips. Here is a link to guide you to having the most rewarding experience and answer any concerns about posting: First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More

I  understand that your notebook is overheating. You have tried using a cooling pad but there was very little change. Here is a link that I think will help.  HP Notebook PCs - Reducing Heat Inside the Laptop to Prevent Overheating. Please let me know the outcome.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution" To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs Up” below!  🙂  If you require further assistance let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help.

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
Skyviewer
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hellos @Sparkles1

Thanks for the reply.

Heres what I have done .

• Updated the BIOS to the latest version aviable. Somehow the BIOS Date remained 7/19/2016
  • Using HP PC Diagnostics UEFI I diagnosed that my computer is overheating. ( you don't say )
  • I Cleaned the fans using compressed gas cleaner
  • I have HP Coolsense enabled, furthermore I also went into BIOS and maximized the fan speed
  • I am sitting in a cool room ( 20 C, 68 F)
  • my laptop is still sitting on cooling pad about 1.5 above the table

I still experience the same issue. No improvement whatsoever.

I went ahead and downloaded SpeedFan to gather more information about my temperatures and fan speeds

Here is what I found

SpeedFan Stats

I figured that i have two fans

1. is on max while gaming at about 4k rpm
  2. is almost always idling at about 130 rpm

I think those fans are for cpu and gpu, but i wouldn't know for sure.

I wonder if the second fan should also be pumping the air out and not idling all the time.

0 Kudos
Sparkles1
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 715 1,914
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Skyviewer,

Thank you for the update. Yes the HP Omen have two fans. I believe that they should run in unison. If you are under warranty, please contact HP Support for further assistance. With your permission they can remotely connect to your system to help locate issues and arrange for servicing if necessary. Contact HP Worldwide.

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
Davigleisi
2 2 0 1
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello skyviewer,

so, what is the status on the fan issue now? Because i have probably a similar issue.

greetings

0 Kudos
Martinsos
Level 1
13 11 0 2
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Same here! However, for some reason, I can not get FanSpeed to read my fan speeds, it does not detect fans. Have you managed to resolve the issue?

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Davigleisi1
2 2 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey i got the solution few weeks ago in a german hp forum. The HP omen are issue with a  120W AC Adapter. But for proper funktion and performance it needs a 150W AC Adapter. Probably you will find one that fits in the HP Store. Greetings

0 Kudos
Martinsos
Level 1
13 11 0 2
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wow that is pretty unusual solution! Does that mean that on battery you do not have problems with CPU overheating? Now that you have 150W adapter problem is solved? I was expecting the problem to be in degraded thermal paste or misfunctioning fans.

0 Kudos
Davigleisi1
2 2 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i don't run games while using the battery so i can not verify. But i don't have any performance problems since i'm using a 150W AC.

I bought onr likein  the Link below. Don't how or if they are available in the US

http://store.hp.com/GermanyStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=W2F74AA&opt=ABB&sel=ACC

greetings

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation